• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce won't start

Jim D

I've had this 1963 multi-fuel Deuce for 6 years and it has always started immediately. I had some older diesel fuel in the tank and I got worried it was too old so I drained it about 5 months ago (it was clean and clear) and replaced it with fresh diesel fuel. I have been busy with all this Covid-19 stuff and went to start the beast last week. It turned over easily and on the third try it fired up for 15 seconds then died. No start since. I am not a diesel mechanic by any means, but I like to wrench on cars (and now trucks). After reading the forums I first checked the fuel pump. It is running and making 4-5 psi on a gauge on top of the tank. I then checked the shut off valve and the arm moves easily from 4-7 o'clock position. I put the cover back on. I opened the petcock on the bottom of the primary fuel filter and - NADA. Even with the fuel pump running, nothing comes out. What is the next step? I'm thinking change all the fuel filters. Could there be a blockage in the fuel line from the pump to the primary filter? Should I remove the main fuel line from the filter housing and see if I get flow that far first? Did I make a massive air pocket in the lines when I drained the fuel tank?
Any help would be appreciated.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you run a little probe up the primary petcock to see if it might just be clogged? Also you can check for circulation by removing the fuel return line on the tank and run the in tank pump. Also we can check for in tank pump pressure between the secondary and final fuel filters at bleed screw. You really do not need a gage if it bleeds air / fuel when you crack it that shows we have enough pressure to clear air and help the boost pump. It does not hurt to run the in tank pump while you light one up or drink one down.

Last edited:

Jim D

Well, it's been a good day. The rain held off and I made $30 beating my buddies at golf (always satisfying). I got a probe to check the fuel petcock on the primary filter, but before I did that, I decided to give her another try at starting. 5 sec cranking - nothing. A second try nothing. The third try was the charm, as the old girl roared to life with that delightful turbo whine. Oil pressure, check, air pressure, check. I backed her out of the garage to clean up the oil I had spilled a few days ago, and let her idle for 20 minutes. No leaks, walk-around was good. I shut her down and she restarted on the first revolution. I let her sit for 30 min and she started up again immediately. I let her sit for another hour and she started up again like a champ. Since I was on a roll, I changed an 8-ft fluorescent fixture that sits over the truck to LED bulbs. Bonus.
I realize that hot engines start easily, so she will spend the night outside and we will see what happens in the morning. Man she runs smooth and revs up easily. The fuel and temp gauges aren't working, so that will be the next project. Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks