• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

did USMC ever use the M35A2

jason riffey

I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps Reserve with 8 months active in 03. I recently bought my first M35A2 and all we ever had was the big 5 ton trucks. Does anyone know if the USMC ever used the M35s? I would like to put a few USMC markings on the Deuce but didnt know if that would be totally inacurate or taboo. Thank you in advance for any info. Jason Riffey USMC

SMOKEWAGON66

Well i dont know for sure the sub models but from what ive heard from some of Vietnam veteran buddies, the Marines had M35s back then. And for what ive seen, i beleive they had some A3's around the time frame i was in....but i was army so i cant say for sure. As for totally inaccurate or taboo...bro its your truck, you can put whatever you want to on it. Try the search function looking for threads on Markings and bumper numbers...lots of opinions and information related to that particular question...and welcome to the board :beer:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Jason, and Semper Fi!

During my time (late-70's/80's) we had lots of M35's running around. Also their M109/M185/etc. kin. Most were painted in Merdc camo.

If you are doing Merdc, the later 383 3-colour camo, or the 686 tan, the markings would be the same as for 5-tons.
There are posts on here covering those markings (try searching something like 'USMC markings'), but if you have trouble finding them on your own holler at me and I'll lend a hand.

Attached are pictures of an M35A2 in Vietnam era colours (Marine green), and one with no markings but showing the paperclips mentioned above. They were used for slinging the trucks aboard ship.
Both trucks belong to the USMC museum on Camp Pendleton.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

waayfast

My "parts" truck is USMC. Makes it hard to decide what I want to do with it. If it were just another Army Deuce I'd either bob it or make some other "custom" thingie. It has been severly Bubba-tized already so going back stock would a LONG road indeed!
BUT --I'm thinking if Marine Corps trucks are rare then maybe restore.

AND I'll run this by everyone again--Anybody know if the Marines had guntrucks---maybe that would be a good choice for this truck, a Marine Corp gun truck replica.

JOEDEUCE

Usmc

My deuce is a 1970 jeep, USMC truck supposedly. I was told that that the give away detail was the hoisting loops on the front bumper which were used for loading purposes.

AZDeuce

Clay James post, may have answered my unasked question. I bought a M35A2 (C turbo) in CA several years ago, it too came from a CA N.G. unit, but it was undercoated. I've only seen undercoating on Marine trucks, but I dismissed it as being added by a guard unit possibly stationed by the coast to avoid rust issues.........but maybe it was an ex-Marine vehicle after all.........I hope!

I had a USMC M35 gasser truck, it was pretty stripped, but it had some good parts that I liberated for my deuce before I sold it off. It had the detachable lifting bars still attached to the rear axle/bed, but strangely it did not have the paperclips, although my understanding the paperclips worked hand in hand with those rear bars.

When ever I get around to restoring her, it will get the paperclips.

I was in the Marines 74-78, I was mostly in towed 105MM Howitzers the multi-fuel deuce was our prime mover in both the 3rd, and 1st Divisions. Whether they were A1s or A2s I do not know, I didn't know the difference back then.

But the Marines definitely used M35s and probably M35A1s, and for sure A2s

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before I started to paint mine Vietnam USMC I went to Olive Drab and it said in there that the USMC never used the M35 series trucks. I see how people can get confused if they google it and get differing info from different sites. Pictures don't lie, thanks for posting the proof.
The picture below was borrowed from one of the many M35 pages on Olive Drab, actually shows a USMC M35 in Vietnam. It is possible that the source on there confused the M35A3 with all M35's perhaps. The A3 (and A4 in M109/M185 guise) were only used by the Army (to the best of my knowledge!!). Anyway, as with most things, a site is only as good as its research, and Olive Drab have made mistakes before but are always willing to correct them.
I don't know about the Coast Guard, but I have personally seen M35's and their kin in use by all the other services, including blue USAF ones and grey USN ones back in the 70's.

I recall seeing a British Hurricane WWII fighter painted in an unusual wavy line camo pattern over the standard desert scheme, both photos and colour paintings in many reference and modelling books and journals.
A couple of years ago I saw the complete larger photo from which the much reproduced Hurricane picture was cropped - the plane was actually parked under a suspended camo net and the wriggly pattern was the net's shadow! 'Ooops' to all those reference works, eh? :oops:

Anyway, just goes to show...

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

BAZYRKYR

Hey there.....I picked up my 1967 Kaiser M109A3 about 3-4 weeks ago. The previous owner painted it Marine Corps Green. I want to to the proper markings on the bumpers. Can you explain how the marking system on the bumpers works...I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

BTW....on my passenger and driver doors in the middle I put these old markings that say "U.S. Marine Corps" in black lettering that I got from this guy that owns a little "surplus" store outside of MCRD Parris Island. Can I keep that or should I take them off?

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another distinguishing characteristic of Marine deuces is the permanently installed deep water fording gear. Easy way to tell is to look at the transmission bell housing. If there is no 'storage' position for the drain plug, then it was built for amphibious use. My M36 is that way and has the paperclips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks