• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel fuel pump vs gas fuel pump

pa.rich

I put a dielel M35 fuel tank on my M211 gasser. Is the pump about the same? I bench tested it and can hear it run. Installed it so will there be any problems to pump gasoline with it to the Gmc 302 engine? I couldnt find a good M211 gas tank, so this was the only thing I could do.The fill is on the rite of the tank so I know it is under the cargo bed, but there is 10" of space to refuel under there. The supply line to the carb is larger but I was able to adapt to the size difference. I had to move the "L" brackets down and one over for the different size tank.It fit in well . Will the pump be too strong for the gas engine?

rdixiemiller

Hmm, that is definately a good question. My first guess would be that it is too high volume for the M211, but, I don't know for sure. Does the M211 have a return line to the tank? If not, I would bet you will be getting way too much volume and pressure.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The intank pump on a M211/M135 is THE fuel pump. The intank pump on the M35A2 is merely a pump to feed fuel to a gear pump, which then feeds fuel to the hydraulic head, which sends it to the cylinders. The M35A2 will have far too much volume, and probably too much pressure as well - to use on the M211.

Original type tanks are out there - you just got to keep looking. I bought one from Memphis Equipment a few years ago.

HTH,
David Doyle

pa.rich

I called Memphis , they said no on tanks. They were out and had nothing new.Anyone know a source for new tanks for the 52 XM211? Or a good used one?Would a M211 pump fit in the M35 tank?
I think they had a square plate screwed to the tank vs. the round one .Getting discouraged !

mo-mudder

Go to summitracing . com and get a fuel pressure regulator. You jimmy-6 should only need 3-5 psi of fuel pressure to run properly. Any more than that, and you'll have the same problem I did; gas in crankcase. The one I have just has hose fittings on two outputs, and a plug on another. A fuel pressure gauge would also be a wise choice, so you can see where to set the regulator.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Did you ask Memphis about the good used - or did you only ask for new? And, as was pointed out by mo-mudder, fuel pressue definately matters.

Regards,
David Doyle

Gamagoat1

High fuel pressure on a carb/ gas engine will push the fuel inlet jet in raising the float and flood the engine eventually filling the crank case.
I had a M-37 that some one put a electric fuel pump on with a switch on the dash. Well, kids being kids he turned on the pump and walked away. Then his Dad tried to start and run the poor thing. :cookoo: New Bearings... rings .... etc. etc.

pa.rich

Thanks David, Mo andMike for the info, I will not run it until its right. Funny ,It never occurred to be about the amount of pressure to the carb.I was just happy to have a tank and pump that didnt leak, I learn something new every day from this site abt these trucks. Thanks for the help.

devilman96

If your not worried about it being "original" you can yank the M35 pump and put a flat cover over the hole (then sell it)... Or keep the cover, yank the pump out and plumb through it... and use a generic electric fuel pump from napa or whomever from a pick up line on one of the 2 remaining ports in the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks