• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Fuel Trends..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats chart is scary. When I toted both my trucks to OH in 2003 it looks like the average price was about $1.47. When I drove to Aberdeen last year I recall the cheapest fuel I bought was $1.91. Looks like the Jan 06 average price is about $2.55 which is a quarter less than I can find here. If I plan on taking a truck or both to OH in Aug, I need to get my fuel production into full swing or get a ski mask and a throw away gun. My fuel costs will easily exceed $1000 if I buy that junk! My trip will require 400 gallons, exactly what a water buffalo will hold. On that note, does anyone know if substantial quantities of used cooking oil require require placarding? Say maybe 400 gallons?

m.walker

I hauled a trailer load dehydrated orange juice and had to run corrosive placards , but that was a commercial tractor trailer . Maybe your personal vehicle would be different , " honest officer we're going camping and we're gonna cook with it ".

davemccoull

diesel fuel trends

Fuel over here is 0.96p a litre £4.32 a gallon ($7), and we can,t run anything else, as it,s not classed as road fuel. the customs and exise would be on you like a ton of bricks, all i use is mixed fuel (petrol and diesel) as tax has been paid!.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know how much home heating oil is up north?
I've noticed Diesel$ shoots up when they start running heating oil at the end of july. i usally drops in the early spring when heating isn't needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah E, 400 gallons is perfect. I'm a bit finicky though. I don't much care for the 149 and its round tank. Think I'm going to shop for the older M107 with the oval tank. Might already have a line on a fixer uppper. I will need to engineer some failsafes into it so nobody samples the mix in their beer stein!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Bjorn! The M105 and cubies would work great and give you an increasing cargo area as you travel but I'm not much into pouring that much fuel. That wold be what, 100 cubies or so? I had considered using the transfer pump from my pickup but it wouldn't look right and might draw attention to the water buffalo. I then considered gravity feeding it to the truck but again, when I get a little low, fuel would flow very slow. Now I'm considering 2 other options. One would be a small pump mounted on the trailer similar to the ones that Mike and them use on the bio reactor. I would of course ball valve everything. My last consideration is to pressurize the tank with regulated air from the truck and feed the fuel that way. Considering the little pumps, I would run it through a relay and have a remote switch since the pumps don't have a bypass circuit. I have extra fuel hose and a 1" fuel nozzle. Lots of options here.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenneth,
Each cube is 35 gallons. At least the ones I am going to be getting are. So 400 gallons would be 13 cubes. NOT that big a deal size wise. I can't remember overall dimensions, but it MIGHT take up the floor of an M105 and you could put a piece of plywood over that and have TONS of storage.

And DON'T pour it. Get a 12v electric fuel pump and a spare battery (could be charged with solar panel). I've seen them fairly cheap at a couple of auto parts houses here. Besides, just mount a second fuel tank on the truck in the normal position. After running one tank down low, every time you stop to eat or sleep, stick the hose in a cube, flip the switch and 'fill er up'.

That's what I'm hoping for.

jim

Edit - Bjorn, your cubes look a LOT smaller than the one's I'm getting from the resturant that is giving me the oil. Note to self - GO GET ONE CUBE and measure it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
Well that's kinda scary. Perhaps I've been misinformed (not intentionally) by the resturant owner. Perhaps he meant 35 lbs instead of 35 gallons. NOW I'm going to have to go back and have another chat. I'd been holding off because I'm not quite ready to start doing bio.

But if all I can get is 24 gallons a week (100 gal a month) then I'll have to find a few more resturants to up the amount. I was told it was 35 gallons in each of two fryers and then they retop them off by splitting another 35 gallon container. I will admit I never ASKED if they came in cubes or what they came in.

Darn...

Does anyone know how much oil a commercial fryer can hold? It seems to me that four - five gallons is not a lot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bjorn, what your take on putting a small amount of regulated pressure on the water buffalo to move fuel? Seems to work on my powerbleeder!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally touched base with the owner of the resturant that is willing to give me their wvo. He took me out back and showed me where they put it all. The container is like a small dumpster that they just 'dump' their oil into. He and the chinese resturant two doors down share it.

He's going to talk to the owner of the chinese resturant and make sure he doesn't mind me pulling it from their tank. Should save each of them about $35 a week. And I will get two to three times the wvo that I thought.

A win/win all the way around. I'll keep you folks informed.

Stupid me forgot to ask how much they both use. Probably pretty icky but with a filtration system in place, could prove very useful. And the oil will smell like chinese and bbq. HOWS THAT for a unique smell?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks