• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesels and vacuum....

llong66

Im not sure if this is the right place for this, but seeing as I have a M1008, Id start here. Why dont diesels have the vacuum to run stuff like power brakes like a gasser? Vacuum in a gasser is the result of the piston pulling in air during the down word intake stroke, right? If this is correct, a diesel should have the same situation as far as vacuum goes, I would think anyway. So why cant you run vacuum operated accessories off a diesel? Could someone please explain this to me? Thanks!!

Greg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesels don't create a vacuum because they don't have a carburetor/throttle body. It is the Venturi effect that actually creates the vacuum.

That is why a vacuum pump is required for the TH400 transmission and also a hydroboost brake system is required.

You can actually run a diesel without the intake manifold installed.

alburms311

Thanks for that last part Warthog, I was going to ask if that could be done for future reference. Had I started my vehicle without the manifold on it would have saved me a lot of trouble this weekend with my leaking injector line.

llong66

Thanks for your explanation Warthog, so if I understand correctly then, the vacuum is caused by a differance in the density of the air in the intake vs he air outside?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a gasoline engine you have either a carburetor or throttle body that acts as a valve to restrict the air flow into the engine. The pistons drawing against this restriction to the air flow is what creates the vacuum. If you open the throttle, the vacuum will go down. At wide open throttle the vacuum level is zero and the intake manifold is at atmospheric pressure.

Diesel engines have no throttle body to restrict the air flow, so a normally aspirated diesel engine's intake manifold is always at atmospheric pressure.

Keith_J

(most) gasoline engines regulate power by regulating manifold pressure using a throttle valve. At part throttle, the engine is literally choked off. This reduces the amount of fuel going into each cylinder.

At idle, most gasoline engines develop about 18" of vacuum. That is 18" of mercury on a manometer. Since air pressure at sea level is about 29.9 " of mercury, you can get an idea of how much the engine is choked to idle.

Airplanes with gasoline engines use manifold pressure as a measure of engine output. Of course you have to understand the difference between manifold vacuum and manifold pressure. Just realize vacuum is the absence of pressure.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But, how does a home vacuum work, with an electric motor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks