• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between 1995 and 1996 M1078 Truck I did search?

JD4044M

I did a search nothing came up thought I was getting the 98 but ended up being a 95 on the title? Check the Vin # yep a 95 by that number. So I know there is differences but what are they, Engine and Transmission/Drive Train. I know less HP that is about it. I have the manuals and still reading them on the CD. Wish they in book form. My M1078 is clean looking not here ye the Hurricane messed up the ride here for leaving this week!! I know the engine is not EPA approved but not sure what that means?? SS1 (640x362).jpg

Ronmar

What engine was specified on the truck that you bought/bid on?

the A1 was not fielded until July of 2000, so there is functionally no difference between a 95 and 98 truck... They both had the same 225 HP 3116 engine and 3070 Transmission. Late in 98 they switched to a WTEC III trans, but their performance/function are identical...

The engine is epa compliant for that year of manufacture, just not for todays:)

Last edited:

Ronmar

It has the 3116 225 HP engine. So the drive shaft is the same too? No real change in electronics on the engine too?
Look at the placard to the left of the steering column. It should have a “D” stamped on it somewhere. I believe that was to indicate it has updated driveshafts.

There are NO electronics on the engine:) it is a mechanical governed engine using Mechanical Unit Injectors(driven by camshaft). The LMTV didnt get the 3126 Electronically controlled engine until 2000 with the A1 model...

was this an auction truck?

JD4044M

Great this sounds good. I got it off EBay. The owner decided to buy the tractor model and had been driving this one and said a lot of good things about the driving and running part. Still waiting for it to get here the hurricane messed up the delivery this week from Florida to WA. All I have so far it the Florida Title.

JD4044M

I meant to say from 1995 to 1998 years. But it seems to be pretty much the same. I did wonder on the guard under the air tanks not being there. I was just going have one bent for me at the welding shop in town. The bend steel for me off and on. Bent the steel for my Power Wagon Dump Bed then I drilled it out and bolted it together. They also shear and plasma cut stuff for me too.

Guyfang

Staff member
The best was to tell is there are differances id to look at the NSN, then look at the TM. Every NSN has its own UOC. Usable on code. That code, (in the -24P) tells you what part fits what truck, by NSN. These trucks were not made by years. There could be several different variations, all built in the same year, and have different parts.

JD4044M

Just now figured how to use my M1078 + LMTV CD Manuals. Found out how to jump around on it using the index. It would be nice to print out a Contents for the 25+ manuals on the CD. They put 5 ton stuff further down the list on them. Very happy with the CD now cause having 1,800 page manuals would be pretty thick alone 28,000 pages of information!! Now I can find the weight of the engine (Aprox 1500 lbs) every zerk fitting, brakes, oil testing ports, air filter break downs and so much more even too lists needed to do things! Having the CD in a Dedicated Lap Top will just be like a Book!! So it looks likes 90% of my questions will be answered, even a big trouble shooting section on the whole truck. Just have to do my home work, read up and most of all get my truck shipped from the seller!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks