• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

difference between M1088 and M1083

Strong50

Hey everyone. I hope i am not asking a repetitive question, but i have searched the site and other sites and still need to know the difference between the two. The M1088 has a towed load rating of 60k and the M1083 has a towed load rating of 21k. Obviously a putting the weight over the axles increases towing capability, but 40k difference?

Jeeperjoe

According to what I'm seeing is the 1083 is a 5 ton cargo truck and the 1088 Is a tractor truck

If what I'm seeing is true yes there would be a difference due to the location the trailer is hooking to 5th wheel is designed to spread the load vs pintle hitch which is more dragging the load

Strong50

I should have elaborated. Would the pintle rating be the same between the two trucks? If not and the pintle rating on the M1088 is greater then are there other mechanical or structural differences between the two?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the Pintle rating should be the same. The major difference is, the fifth wheel spreads the load over more of the frame in addition to placing the hitch weight between the two axles. The pintle puts the weight at the end of the frame, less load spread. Either way the tow load rating is severely under rated in these trucks, other than their lack of a motor for pulling the weight. Also the 1083 and tow its weight with 5 tons in the bed, where as the 88 has no bed.

DrillerSurplus

Hey everyone. I hope i am not asking a repetitive question, but i have searched the site and other sites and still need to know the difference between the two. The M1088 has a towed load rating of 60k and the M1083 has a towed load rating of 21k. Obviously a putting the weight over the axles increases towing capability, but 40k difference?
FWIW, the -10 Operator's Manuals usually have a section near the front that outlines the differences between the models' variants. It isn't as good as first hand knowledge, but it is a good starting point.
Here is the section from TM-9-2320-366-10-1 for the M1083.

View attachment differences pages TM-9-2320-366-10-1.pdf

Recce01

Sorry to revive this, but with the extra leaf on the 1088, what would the load capacity be? Is it still a 5ton? I ask because I do see guys using the 1088 to make overland trucks, is that because it has a greater capacity? The frame seems to be different at the back, which I think would make it difficult to extend the frame like you can on the 1083.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 1088s have been more available in the past year or two compared to the 1083 trucks. The cargo trucks have extra metal channel spacing the bed up a few inches the tractor does not have this. If you were putting a big water tank on it you might want the heavier spring pack. For a camping box it shouldnt matter.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You would want to add metal rails on top of the frame rails to space your box up 2 inches or so. You could continue those a bit past the original rails I wouldnt go too far though

Recce01

You would want to add metal rails on top of the frame rails to space your box up 2 inches or so. You could continue those a bit past the original rails I wouldnt go too far though
I think I want to do a 4 point sub-frame, so I'd like to extend the rails with material close to factory size and slip it into the factory rail as deep as possible. As soon as the moderators determine I am not a spammer and let me remove the training wheels, I'll post some pics of what I am thinking. I see you have a few of the 88's, so I really appreciate you chiming in with real world intel.

Sweep

You would want to add metal rails on top of the frame rails to space your box up 2 inches or so. You could continue those a bit past the original rails I wouldnt go too far though[/QUOTE

On our 1088 our tank sits on 4" rails with 1/2" rubber straps. Does not rub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks