• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential question.

Jones

Well, I may have just wasted a week-end.
The rear axle in the baby HEMTT has what I considered excessive play in the gear train. This was based on the fact that, with a driveshaft bolt hole a 12:00, I could rotate the input flange almost far enough for the next bolt hole to assume the 12:00 position.
Got another differential and this one was much tighter; could only rotate flange far enough to move a bolt hole 5/8" to 3/4" from it's starting point.
After a full day's work swapping out the differential, I'm standing there admiring my handiwork and studying the differential I just removed; clean, bright, I can still see the paint from checking the gear contact and I realize that by looking into the hole in the casting that encloses the spiders I can see a big spring staring back at me. I dive into my 24Ps for both M800 and M900 series 5 tons and neither one shows a spring in the exploded view.
With a sinking feeling I realize that Barstow Truck Parts having been my source for the axles is practically next door to Barstow Marine Corps Base and don't I remember a thread saying that some USMC trucks had locker differentials.

My questions:
Do locker differentials naturally have more play in them than standard non-lockers?
Do these aforementioned lockers work for traction control a la Sure-Grip, Posi-Traction, etc. or do they just "unlock" to make cornering easier on tandem rear axle assembly components?
And, Did I just spend a week-end replacing a perfectly good locker differential with a non-locker?

Elwenil

Yes, a locker will have more play that a standard diff. It sounds like you might have swapped out a good locked diff. I probabaly would have done the same without thinking about it though, lol.

Elwenil

If I understand it right, the lockers are either a Detroit Locker or similar design. They lock when torque is applied through the driveshaft and unlock when coasting.

ssgtwright-usmc

I am sure someone is going to say (look it up, its been posted before)! Just kidding but thats the replies I have have been getting lately when I post something that I did not know was posted before.
Again everyone, I am joking here now!!!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:) Yes ssgtwright-usmc, here it goes ....: Jones, see my post here: http://shortlinks.net/xbp805 regarding operation of a Detroit locker which I think is in your diff.
DLs do not unlock when coasting, so better don't accelerate or engine brake while cornering!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks