• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster Avoided Thanks to You Guys!

DeucesWild11

So I finally got around to doing the overhaul on the front end. Someone here in one of my first threads, when I was having brake lockup issues, told me to check and re-build all the brake cylinders. It was always on my todo list but never really had the time. Finally after receiving Jatonka's lockout hubs I decided to do the brake cylinders, lockouts and replace the zipper boots which just recently failed.

So time to take off the hub and both axle nuts came off at the same time...:roll: That shouldn't happen I thought. Check out the pic, the right one came off the truck.. no tab on the inside of that lock nut washer..IMG_2958.jpg so glad I had an extra one on my old rear axle. Also glad the tire never fell off the truck while driving it. :-D Next for the calipers, drivers side was worn and crusty but overall not too bad, check out the before and after on the pas side..
IMG_2954.jpgIMG_2956.jpgIMG_2957.jpg

I am sure that I was due for a catastrophic brake failure anytime soon, as it was beginning to leak.

Not sure who told me in one of my old posts to go through everything but thank you! I'll see if I can dig up my old post to give proper kudos. Without the great knowledge of the members on this site my wheel could have fallen off or my brakes could have gone out. That's why I support the site with the premium membership even though I don't sell anything..

If you have a deuce and never took a look at your brake calipers I would highly recommend you do so. My brakes felt great before I took this apart.. so you can't go by "feel". Order yourself some rebuild kits and a honing tool and get to work, it's not that hard.

Thanks again all!

zout

This would be a great thread if you could get a Mod to drop it in your orginal thread - folks would have the whole story with a great ending to it.
Glad you got it fixed.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy ****e! You caught that in time. I notice your "Deuce thumb" with blood on it...typical side effect of working on the beast. The whole hub and bearing assembly looks like it benefitted from cleaning and regreasing.

59apache

Chipmaker
I noticed the thumb, too. It looks like the typical ATF leakage :). This is the way a mans hand should look like. Dirty, scratched, scarred. :)
btt: good thread, good advise. And reminds me to pull my wheels and drums and take a look on it again. thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks