• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disconnecting the fording kit on a M923...

TacticalDoc

UPDATE Trans over pressure Issue Explain TM Replenishing Trans Oil procedure for M923

Procedure from the TM

1 Add trans fluid and replace dip stick
2 Start engine until reaching normal operating temp then SHUT OFF engine

Note
Begin shifting trans through driving ranges only after normal operating temp is reached
Preform shifting procedure for 2 min before returning to neutral and SHUTTING OFF engine

3 shift trans through driving ranges to allow oil to circulate
4 check level and fill as needed

Ok ...I have no clue when to start and stop the motor and when to shift trans. Please explain

I'm assuming you add fluid, warm it up, shift gears for 2 min then shut it off and check level. But, the dipstick says check while idling and in neutral.

Last edited:

tbar123

It's basically the same as your car. Drain fluid, replace whatever your replacing( filter,gasket,etc) Replace the fluid you drained minus 2 quarts. Start the truck let it warm to normal operating temperature, put transmission in gear for a minimum of 10 seconds each gear, recheck fluid level and add fluid as needed, put transmission in each gear again for minimum of 10 seconds, recheck fluid level, add fluid as needed. This procedure includes all shifts available on the gear shifter. 1-2-3-4-5-r-n. I hope this helps. The manual explains a lot but to me leaves yet a lot unmentioned, especially for the first time owner. Which I can understand because the manual is for at least somewhat trained personnel.

TacticalDoc

It's basically the same as your car. Drain fluid, replace whatever your replacing( filter,gasket,etc) Replace the fluid you drained minus 2 quarts. Start the truck let it warm to normal operating temperature, put transmission in gear for a minimum of 10 seconds each gear, recheck fluid level and add fluid as needed, put transmission in each gear again for minimum of 10 seconds, recheck fluid level, add fluid as needed. This procedure includes all shifts available on the gear shifter. 1-2-3-4-5-r-n. I hope this helps. The manual explains a lot but to me leaves yet a lot unmentioned, especially for the first time owner. Which I can understand because the manual is for at least somewhat trained personnel.
OK. So, everything should be done with the motor running even checking the level?

TacticalDoc

OK did that and no oil was on stick. ran it in gears while parked. opened to check and it was smoking. shut it down added 2 quarts. was still low. added another 2 quarts and now it is over flowing from the dipstick. Not draining from over fill port and pressure builds up.
I'm thinking its my fording kit that I know is off.

TacticalDoc

Need a tow to the next town over in Central FL

Need a tow for my M923 from the north part of Lakeland FL to Mulberry FL. I have tow bars and the ride is about 20 to 25 miles. Let me know how much you would need.

EDIT
Reason for tow is that I added fluid to the trans and over filled it. Don't want to drive it until its changed

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

Disconnecting the fording kit on a M923...

Even though my fording kit is in the off position I still think its pressurizing the trans and T case.. How do you plug it up so it doesn't pressurize? Has anyone don it to their truck?

5tonman1971

Are you having problems with the trans and t case? Are they leaking fluid? Have you tried opening the fill ports to see if you get a pressure release to verify that they are getting pressurized?

TacticalDoc

Are you having problems with the trans and t case? Are they leaking fluid? Have you tried opening the fill ports to see if you get a pressure release to verify that they are getting pressurized?

When I first got the truck it had oil leaking into the air box. So, I disconnected all 3 ports (from t-case, trans and fuel I believe) going into the air box and let them drain through tubing off to the side. The one of the hoses has air blasting out of it when I let go of the brakes and one seems to be leaking gear oil. And, now the transmission seems to be getting pressurized.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the transmission dipstick and see if there is air coming out of the tube while the engine is running.

TacticalDoc

Pull the transmission dipstick and see if there is air coming out of the tube while the engine is running.
The trans fill tube/dip stick tube spits trans fluid up and there is air pressure building up. I'm not sure if that's because I overfilled it but it does spit up.

212sparky

Why? If you connect why brake lines and take it slow it will track behind and a deuce has the torque to pull it. I would not do it down the interstate. But I would on country roads.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Enough folks.

Towing a heavier vehicle than the towing vehicle is ALWAYS a bad idea. This is outlined in the TMs, as well as being well known by people.

If you have assistance to offer to the OP, please respond. If you have nothing but debate to offer, I suggest holding your comments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks