• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do MTVR's have runflats?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Some do. Some don't. Depends on what its purpose was before demil.

Gun trucks will have runflats, so armor variant A1s are more likely to have them.

Otherwise they have the band type beadlock insert in them

MTVR

Some do. Some don't. Depends on what its purpose was before demil.

Gun trucks will have runflats, so armor variant A1s are more likely to have them.

Otherwise they have the band type beadlock insert in them
Dang.

The MK23A1 is RTAA (Ready To Accept Armor), but mine is an AMK23, so it was originally built with armor.

Sounds like that means I'll be wrestling run-flat inserts, instead of just the black rubber band type beadlock insert...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is no wrestling the solid run flat inserts. Since you have never dealt with them before they will certainly beat you down worse than someone with a baseball bat.

If you have a spare tire on a wheel and you can barely lift it to stand it up then its probably got a beadlock insert. If its got a runflat. There are not many people who can stand up a steel wheeled 1600 with a solid runflat if they do they will pop a hernia

Like I said it just depends on what the truck's mission was. I've got a 7 ton wheel with a runflat in a brand new tire.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are in the older 939 wheels
Learned something new today; thanks Wes!

Actually that is exactly what I have in mind to fabricate, by turning/cutting away the ring portion of the solid runflat donuts and just leaving a 1" thick rubber band, to act purely as a beadlock.
(Done that already with dozens of the smaller HMMWV runflat inserts.)
2018-04-15 17.54.00.jpg

MTVR

Is that what our runflats look like on the 16.00R20 tires? Like the one partially visible on the far left?

What is the procedure for removing and reinstalling them once the wheel halves are out?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No. Those are beadlocks.

Runflats can look like these below.

99 percent positive with 07 tires you won't have the composite runflat

As far as getting em out. Two straps and two trucks. Or a tractor with forks.

Getting em back In wouldn't be worth your time unless you have an excavator to mash em back down.

You can try to compress them with the tool when they are half way out of the old tire in the forklift video but they will still beat you down.

If you can find some composite ones they are easier and lighter

Attachments

MTVR

No. Those are beadlocks.

Runflats can look like these below.

99 percent positive with 07 tires you won't have the composite runflat

As far as getting em out. Two straps and two trucks. Or a tractor with forks.

Getting em back In wouldn't be worth your time unless you have an excavator to mash em back down.

You can try to compress them with the tool when they are half way out of the old tire in the forklift video but they will still beat you down.

If you can find some composite ones they are easier and lighter
Well now, that's pretty special...

Sounds like I would be better off leaving the solid rubber ones in the old tires, and buying normal beadlock inserts for my replacement tires...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks