• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone know anything about Mack DM6116S 6x6 tractors ?

466Navastar

I have seen a 1967 Mack DM6116S for sale - looked up info on the net....not too much avail.....suspect this is an old military tractor that was used like the current M916...even has a big Tulsa winch behind the cab....seems in pretty decent shape body wise - has Mack diesel that doesn't run and has a manual 5 speed - 2 range trans....Im thinking it might be better to swap in a Cummins 400 and automatic if Mack engine needs much...since I think the Mack only has around 200 horsepower

can anyone tell me if these were decent trucks and worth bringing back ?.....looks like a beast but needs some bucks to bring it back to life

any comments & sources to check for parts appreciated

Last edited:

quickfarms

I would need more information.

It could be a navy truck.

there were two Mack's that GL auctioned off in the last year.

A dm is an offset cab truck. I used to run a DM as a roll off. I used to commonly gross at 60k. It was a mid 70's truck. It would do 62 mph on the flat freeway. The trans sounds like a two stick, the main transmission is a 5 speed and the auxiliary was high low and reverse. I used to float gears all day long. To start out you would put the main box in first and then just put the auxiliary in low and put the pedal to the floor. It was real fun to have all those gears in reverse. The bad is the wedge brakes, they were impossible to get adjusted correctly. The brakes would lock up one tire if the road was wet. My solution was to down shift to a stop.

466Navastar

found this pic...the truck I am talking about is basically the same just need a LOT of TLC
thought some of you guys might have experience(s) and help me decide if I want this over say a M916 - it being different is what mostly attracts me to it....but if they were a PITA operationally or hard to maintain - Id like to know....

jdknech

I say go for it... and if you dont, send me the contact info :lol: that is a mean looking truck, and like you, I also have a thing for the "unusual".. go get it, and bring it to life!
but keep the mack powerplant.. they have sooooo much grunt. i used one for awhile to pull LARGE house boats, and yachts out of the river for repair.. most of the time i could put it in high 1st, and it would idle out, never knowing there was a boat behind it..

DieselBob

Neat tractor. I learned to drive on a DM600 with a 5X4 twin stick and then spent several years driving a DM600 with a 5X2. Loved both of them. Not a street racer by any means but if true Mack engine, trans and rears they are darn near bullet proof.

61sleepercab

Looks like trucks set up for oil field work with flat trailers with roller on trailer tail. Oil tanks were welded to sleds and winch line pulled tank up to trailer bed and then loaded with winch cable. Sleds with sides called tubs handled loose cargo like pipe. Most trucks had cab protectors and frame work around winch to protect them. Mark

iatractor

Back in the day, I drove an R with the two sticks and a 3500 gallon fertilizer tank. Mack engine and tranny. Like DieselBob said, not a racer but it would haul or move anything. Great low end torque, and the multiple gears in reverse made it handy. Worst thing about it was the huge steering wheel and the fact you had to chase it all over the cab to run the wheel. I say go for it!.

466Navastar

thanks guys - have to wait a bit for the owner to come back from travel....hope he is reasonable - doesn't look like anyone has too much interest the way it sets.

crasheej

The one in the picture is a USAF truck. I saw a couple one time on a staff astcent trip but I can't remember where, or what they said they were used for.

MadMug

They were used by the Air Force, late 60's to mid 70's. I drove them a lot in southern Nevada. Only problems I remember was underpowered of course and the transfer case would heat up at highway speed.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barstow Truck Parts used to have a few of those, until they were shredded for scrap several years ago (along with many other rare trucks).

I'd say snap it up; 6x6 trucks don't come up for sale often, and you should still be able to get parts for it. You could always upgrade the motor to a newer turbo Mack engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks