• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does CARC fade?

MTVR

My MTVR is a 2007 and painted in woodland camo. When it's wet, the colors look pretty fresh. When it's dry, the colors look pretty bland, especially in direct sunlight. Does CARC fade like that on a 13 year old truck? Is there something I can use to revive the colors, or should I just live with it or spray house paint over it?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely. Your truck shows typical weathering/fading for that age. Personally, I'd stick with what you've got. It is fairly clean, even if it is faded.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people wash it with a gallon of WD-40 before parade duty but doing this will complicate future plans for painting the truck. I say roll with it as-is. It looks clean.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The black CARC typically fades to a bluish grey, as on your truck. I've seen some touchups of black fade to almost white (I'm guessing some off the shelf spray paint was used rather than CARC proper). My Marine M813 had some that faded that way.

Love that t-shirt! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

MTVR

Love that t-shirt! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers
There's a story behind that T-shirt, that I will now make unnecessarily long:

My wife and I have done several major marriage team-building type life projects in recent years. I will warn you in advance, do not show these stories to your wives.

For the first project, I let my wife custom-order a new BMW Track Pack car exactly how she wanted it, and then flew her to Munich Germany to pick it up at the factory. We made two stops on the way to pick up her car- first we flew to Paris for 3-4 days, and had dinner in the Eiffel tower on our last night. Then we flew to Rome for 3-4 days, where I rented us a red Italian Vespa scooter, and we scooted all over Rome. Then we flew to Munich, to do Oktoberfest (in costume) the night before her delivery.

Porsche, Mercedes, and others do European Deliveries too, but nobody does European Deliveries like BMW does. They had us picked up at the airport in Munich by a big black long-wheelbase BMW 7-series limousine, driven by a very dignified limo driver in a 3-peice suit. Upon arrival at the BMW Welt first thing in the morning, we were issued VIP credentials and lockers, and shown to the Premier Lounge, which is set aside for European Delivery customers. They change the menu three times a day, and European Delivery customers can have as much gourmet food and drink as they want. During the day, we toured the BMW Museum, the BMW factory, and the BMW Welt itself. At the appointed time, they walked my wife down a big dramatic flight of stairs to her car, which was slowly rotating on a giant turntable under spot lights in the center of the building. She cried. They had a professional photographer take some delivery photos of her with her new car, and then let her drive a "victory lap" around the inside of the Welt before exiting.

Her new car came with German license plates, registration, and insurance. They told us her license plates were not valid in Liechtenstein, so the first thing we did was head for Liechtenstein. Then we drove through the tip of Austria, into Switzerland, over the famous San Bernardino Pass in the Swiss Alps (had a little lakeside picnic at the top), and into northern Italy, where we stayed at a surprisingly nice hotel in Varese. Over the next several days, we toured Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Ducati, and MV Agusta, as they are all located within a few hours of each other. My wife rented me a black 570-horsepower all-wheel-drive convertible Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Performante (I did about 150 mph or so through the Italian countryside). Then we did 3-4 days in Venice, before heading back up to Salzburg Austria (Sound of Music, Mozart, yada, yada), and across Germany for the second time. We did the famous medieval walled city of Rothenburg, took a horse-drawn carriage ride up to have wine and desserts in the world's most famous castle (Neuschwanstein, the castle that inspired Disney's castle), toured Porsche in Stuttgart, toured the Mosul Valley wine region, and repeatedly maxxed her car out against it's 155 mph electronic speed limiter on the German Autobahns on our way to the Nurburgring, to lap her car at triple-digit speeds around the track that the Track Pack was designed for. The cherry on the top of this trip, was an $860 cab ride for my wife in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS race taxi, driven around the Nurburgring at speeds of up to 320 kph (200 mph) by the most famous racing driver there, Sabine Schmitz.

Anyway, back to the cowbell- While we were in Hohenschwangau to visit the Neuschwanstein castle, there is a very specific spot in a field below Neuschwanstein castle, that BMW European Delivery owners often take photos of their cars at, showing the castle in the background. There were cows in the field on the other side of the road, and my young wife had never heard cowbells. She had also never seen or heard of the SNL "More Cowbell" skit, so I pulled it up on my phone and showed it to her right there in the field. From that time on, the "More Cowbell" thing has been a family joke of ours, because that trip couldn't possibly have needed any more cowbell...1.jpg20140929_221030 (2).jpgA0371050 (3) - Copy.jpg20141010_142239.jpg20141010_152604.jpgIMG_4448.jpg

Last edited:

Cklreed

That sounds like an awesome adventure! The last time that I was in Europe I was in the corps and too young to worry about anything but chasing tail and drinking beer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jericho

That sounds like an awesome adventure! The last time that I was in Europe I was in the corps and too young to worry about anything but chasing tail and drinking beer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spent eight years in Germany what was better to do that that !

MTVR

That was an epic bucket-list trip, but it was only one of two.

When I was ready to order my Porsche convertible, we originally planned to do a European Delivery at Stuttgart, where it was to be built, and we started planning another epic bucket-list European trip. Unfortunately, Porsche announced that they were going to discontinue the normally-aspirated flat-6 engine configuration that is so iconic to Porsche, so we just put the order in for my car immediately, and took delivery here, before the trip that it had inspired.

Ultimately, we took another month to do England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and two weeks on the Isle Of Man for the TT.

For those that don't know, the TT is the world's oldest motorcycle race, and the most deadly motorsport event on the face of the planet. 250 riders have died there over the years. 5 riders died during the two weeks we were there (practice week and race week). It is not held on a closed circuit race course, it is held on 37-3/4 miles of two-lane country roads, and the Superbikes reach speeds of up to 210 mph on the Sulby Straight. And the Isle Of Man is not like the U.S.- you can sit right at the edge of the course, for free, with race bikes passing just inches away.

And there are no speed limits on the Isle Of Man outside of town, so when the course is not closed for racing or practice, ANYONE can ride the course at speed. And during the TT, they make the mountain section one way, so you can use both sides of the road. We rented a bright-red dry-clutch big-bore Ducati with open carbon-fiber Termignoni exhaust, and lapped the course at triple-digit speeds, both solo and two-up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks