• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does IP need fuel supply pressure?

abh3

Brought home my latest refugee from Eglin AFB, they're nearing the bottom of the barrel there, this one's rusty as heck , even the top of the fuel tank is rusted out from sitting next to the bay, and weird as it is made by 'Lansing'. But it has a winch and what looks to be a good engine, only I can't get it started...

Tried 'gravity flow' out of a jug into the strainer/filter under the alternator, get fuel out of the filter housing bleeder, even a little whisp at one or three cracked injectors but no start. The shut off is forward, it cranks momentarily on a sniff of gasoline but no smoke, no start... Does the IP need fuel PRESSURE to start or is there something else going on, like the plunger in the middle of the IP head being stuck? Can the plunger be 'freed up' on the truck? SMALL hammer? Also, it looks to have some 15 year old gasoline in the filters, etc...

Thanks for the help!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't remember where I saw it but someone took out center plug from ip head and used wooden dowel and something like mmo.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a crank, no start, easy things first. Take the cover off the pump where the shut off is and make sure the lever isn't stuck in the no fuel position. When the ign. is turned on, do you hear the in tank pump working? Could just be no diesel gas at the pump. If you turn the ign on, crack the bleeder at the tpo of the fuel filters. See if fuel comes out .

abh3

The lever under the shut-off cover is really stiff, I've worked it back and forth using a wrench, I'd like to imagine it's getting looser but it's far from springing back to the front...

There's no point in turning on the ignition as the dash wiring harness is all hacked and the top of the fuel tank is caved in from rust, full of water, etc, so I'm now using a spare tank pump in a bucket of fuel, LOTS of fuel out of the filter bleeder but no difference otherwise, no smoke, no start...

So, if the shut off is stiff and very little fuel is making it throught the IP head (I guess) this is some kinda stuck IP pump, right? Any last-ditch fixes here, pull the middle plug on the IP head and fill 'er up with Kroil maybe? Curse and beat it with a BFH? Threaten it with the .45? :p

Thanks for your info and time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks