• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dog House Upper Stud Turnlock Fastener Alternatives

cg25713

I know this has been discussed in the past but does anyone know of a good alternative to these? Mine are a bit difficult to link in and turn. Any ideas?

Action

If the handles are missing, try a large standard screwdriver. You can push and turn at the same time.
They are also easier if you tighten the latches at bottom corners.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always have to sit down and push my feet against it in order to get them to turn and lock in.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
???? Are you doing the side latches first?
One side latch works, the other takes too much force and won't stay latched, it bent the bracket for the latch.I've talked to other people and the doghouses aren't that great of a fit more often than not.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are tools to adjust the tension on the Dzus fasteners, basically you want to move the wires towards the rear to loosen the tension.
I suppose one could fit Nutserts and use bolts.

Having said all that I use a pair of pliers to "crush" the "springs" on ether side to loosen the fit, a little goes a long way.

Last edited:

cg25713

Great video and info Mogman. Thank you.

Action - what screws do you mean? My springs are riveted directly to the body at the top of the engine cover. They don't seem adjustable at all.

Action

Great video and info Mogman. Thank you.

Action - what screws do you mean? My springs are riveted directly to the body at the top of the engine cover. They don't seem adjustable at all.
There are about 8 self tapping screws holding the bracket to the underside of the a-pillar. The screws point straight up. These screws are also how you access the driver's defrost hose (after removing another row of screws from the engine compartment.
You may try to make the holes oblong to allow your bracket to move the way you want it to.
If you guys have to use your feet to push the doghouse in place to latch those, what does the seal look like? I just set my doghouse in place. When I fasten the 6 points, the seals ssquishes like it should. Is your doghouse hitting anything? Look at the silver insulation to see if it is crushed from something hitting it.
the part is upside down in this picture from kascar.
It is all shown clearly in the parts diagrams.

1615223619359.png

cg25713

Thanks again Action. I consulted my parts manual and see exactly what you mean. I recently rebuilt my doghouse but I had the same problem before. I have a new gasket on it and replaced the hardware. I'm going to try adjusting the bracket and I'll report back. I think this might do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks