• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Relay Mod Question

LastFbody

Obligatory "Sorry I know next to nothing about electricity" pre-excuse.

Got everything together for doing the doghead starter relay mod proper tomorrow. I know the original relay can stick on and all kinds of bad things can happen. Its gotta go, no question about that. In fact mentioning this around the old man brought back a memory of the starter sticking on for his olds 350 diesel station wagon some years before.

What has been nagging at me though, is the relay I got (part# 7-01860-1 from Oreilly, number isn't broken up exactly like that, but its the same sequence of numbers and looks the same as all the images I've seen) has a bunch of mumbo jumbo written on the side, but very clearly shows 12v... I know at least one of the relay wires going into it is hot with 24v...

Did I get the wrong part? Or does the voltage totally not matter for this particular part/mod?

Attachments

chevymike

That's because it needs 12v to trigger the relay, not what is being passed through the large terminals. Because of the CUCV 24v starter, it needs the relay to allow the standard 12v dash/key system to trigger a 24v starter circuit. You are good.

cucvrus

Be careful. Be very careful. IMHO a sealed unit with NO open connections will work out much better. Or do as you wish. I would do some research and play it safe. That is a lot of positive current in an area surrounded entirely by negative STEEL. Play it safe. And not just using liquid tape or electrical tape. I have seen the horrors. Get a sealed relay that cannot make contact with the surroundings. Be Safe and Take Care.

LastFbody

Excellent, thanks! I think i can finish this before work.

Definitely plan on being careful. I may not know much about electricity, but I have learned the mechanical process of soldering new connectors and doing heatshrink.

The exposed metal surrounded by metal worried me too. Electrical tape/liquid electrical tape didnt seem good enough to me, so i ordered 4 small rubber battery terminal covers that are almost perfect for this job. I'll snap a pic of the finished product.IMG_20200623_114056.jpg

LastFbody

Ha.

Finished. Followed the guide plus the rubber covers and it started up first time no problem. Wife says it sounds stronger, seemed about the same to me though.

Covers were 3/16 size, they worked fine for the ground and 12v once I trimmed the little tab things off. They almost didn't fit for the upper 2 24v wires. Would have gone smoother with 1/4 or 5/16 for those, but it worked. IMG_20200623_202105.jpg

LastFbody

Is it normal with these for there to be a lower-moderately loud pop from the relay when you turn the key after ignition with this? Im talking after the glow plug light shuts off and you go to turn the starter.

I should add that the truck starts right up with no issues, just has a new sound under the dash.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks