• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT3 or DOT5?

Moparman

So im about to bleed the brakes, silicone warning sticker is still on master cylinder but i found a bottle of dot3 in the truck. Proceeded with a water test and the bottom stayed murky and darker foam stuff on top. Im not a genius but im sure someone mixed them. Will i be ok with bleeding it all out with fresh dot5? Brakes are ok, gets spongy but no leaks. Any help will be appretiated!

offroadrunner

I suppose it depends how much was in there, and how long it was there. My experience - when I converted my '73 Polara (stock - DOT3) and my deuce (which the previous owner switched to straight DOT3) to straight DOT5 was that any "rubber" parts (in the master, slaves, hoses, air-pack) that I tried to re-use - failed within 6 months. It seems that DOT3 causes the soft-parts to swell (slightly) and soften (a little) - and when you go to DOT5 they shrink back or harden and leak (or hoses de-laminate on the inside). Also - I think that DOT5 seems to "feel" a little spongier than the same system with DOT3; not a lot, but it seemed noticeable.
If you had much DOT3 in there, you probably shouldn't push your luck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinder and Master Cylinder rebuild kits aren't too bad in price. The airpack kits can be reasonable if you get them at a show or watch ebay. I'd stick with Dot 5.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel cylinder and Master Cylinder rebuild kits aren't too bad in price. The airpack kits can be reasonable if you get them at a show or watch ebay. I'd stick with Dot 5.
It's a 77 Dodge pickup, no air pack, rebuilt wheel & master cylinders are generally cheaper than the rebuild kits at the autoparts store.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks