• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Down to bare bones!

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you can't take it down much farther! Now I can start rebuilding. Took this picture at my buddies where the frame is waiting for sandblasting. Then a couple of coats of POR15. I have received the parts for my disc brake setup, my power steering conversion, for resealing the axles, diffs, transfer case and winch, and a lot of the stuff for rebuilding the axles. I am waiting for the 4.88 ring and pinion. The motor mounts are welded in and ready for the 4 cyl turbo diesel.

I have all the painted body parts on a trailer. Now I have to find someone to do the painting. There is almost no rust anywhere on the body. So, just surface prep and shoot, but not much in the way of body shops who do custom projects in Juneau. Mostly shops that do insurance repair to modern stuff. If anyone has personal knowledge of a good shop for this kind of paint work in the Seattle (Pacific Northwest) area or Whitehorse (Yukon) area. I am looking for recommendations. I just don't do paint.

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job! you are going to post your rebuild progress, right. I can't remember if your using the cummins are not. I could use all the help I can get. I bought a truck with 4 wheel disc and power steering [GM] with 4.89 gears all I need to do is the diesel. I'll go back and read your thread. It's going to be so worth it when you get it done. I love mine.

emr

Get those shackles off there, slacker!
NOW!!!!!! That is the PROPER Steel Soldier REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer: All the best, when I opened and saw the pic, i laughed LOL then read this and laughed all over again , thanks for the pics and sarcasm :) I enjoyed all as I know it is in good fun, I love this stuff :)::):)

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey scrapdaddy- I will be posting pics. For now check out my albums on this site. I was looking for a 4 BT cummins, but found a 4BD2 isuzu (out of a NPR delivery truck). If you check the output ratings side by side, they are almost identical in size, weight, HP and torque curve, etc. Anyhow, it is a great project. I am not sure my wife agrees, but she is pretty tolerant of my MV hobby. I guess she figures it keeps me home and out of the bars!:beer: Keep us up to date on your project.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to drive the NPR before I removed the engine and as many components as I thought I might need. I found no indications of head cracks or other problems, though I have read about them on the 4BT/4BD engine swap forum. The oil filter will clear fine. I had to modify the oil pan. It had a large bump-out that would have interfered with the differential. I also will be doing as Cabell Garbee did and using a 2" spacer between axle and springs which will give me more seperation between pan and driveline/diff.

Dodge man

Hey scrapdaddy- I will be posting pics. For now check out my albums on this site. I was looking for a 4 BT cummins, but found a 4BD2 isuzu (out of a NPR delivery truck). If you check the output ratings side by side, they are almost identical in size, weight, HP and torque curve, etc.
There are several good threads on the ih8mud.com site about Isuzu engine swaps. They look like great engines and because of the inline IP they look like the fuel can easily be turned up and they may even be able to run multi-fuels similar to the Deuce. They don't have a FDC so would have to be adjusted manually or someone would have to build or adopt a FDC.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a marine diesel engineer, but not familiar with the acronym FDC (fuel delivery computer maybe?) help me out here. Thanks

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodgeman, like your stable of Mopars! I still am not sure about the FDC thing, but can tell you that i am going low tech on this build. I am using simple relays and toggle switches for glow plugs, intake air heater, shut down will be cable-not solenoid, throttle will be direct cable to gov linkage and so forth. No computer, no electronics at all. At least that is the plan!

steelypip

I'm a marine diesel engineer, but not familiar with the acronym FDC (fuel delivery computer maybe?) help me out here. Thanks
I'm a noob, but I know that one - FDC is the Fuel Density Compensator. It's one of the things that makes a Hercules Diesel into a MultiFuel engine on a deuce. The FDC is hooked up to the injection pump and alters the amount of fuel injected depending on how 'rich (dense)' it thinks the fuel is. One of the (really clever) people at this site has figured out a way to make the FDC adjustable, which seems like it would be even more useful.

There's also different pistons and compression ratio involved in making a multifuel able to burn just about anything but wishful thinking. If you put an FDC on the Isuzu it would not be a true multi-fuel, but (if properly set up) it would be much more tolerant of 'strange' fuels like WMO, gear oil, etc.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that info steelypip!. I will just be using #2 (unless the price goes so crazy that i have to pay someone to grow 10 acres of sunflower seeds for me to squeeze!) Not having any of that Big Iron, I have not had the pleasure of checking out the multi-fuel engines. sounds interesting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks