• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft impact of transmission swap

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the middle of swapping in a built 700r4.
From other threads on here I was not expecting any impact to my total length and thus not needing to change any driveshaft lengths. A good write up with calcs shown here:

I purchased the trans with the 32 spline output so that it would match to our np208s. I was expecting the shaft output of the trans to be the 32 spline from discussion with the builder, however I received an adapter instead. First question, is this adapter what is typical? Or is it normally the output shaft of the trans switched to 32 spline?

Im not overly concerned about having to use the adapter, however due to the extended length of the shaft, I am now not able to use the 700r4 to np208 mating adapter I planned as the splines bottom out before the TCase is mated to the trans. The spline adapter also came with an mating adapter to use the TH400 to np208 mating adapter. But the overall length of this assembly is another 0.270 longer.

From that thread I included above I was expecting 0.1875 overall length increase, which was not an issue. But now I am going to be ~0.4575 longer.

The truck is currently taken apart so I can’t play around with field measurements, but is this going to be an issue? Will I have to shorten my rear driveshaft?

Attachments

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns out my concern was unwarranted. Doing some research found out that this adapter setup built by Advance Adapters and also came across the spec sheets. The differences in transmission lengths from the 700r4 to the TH400 is about an inch, and the included case adapter is 1”. So overall the length will be the same so no issues with driveshafts. 29CCBEC0-65DF-4615-B8DD-A20BAA0383C2.jpegF64B2F24-026A-4DBD-BFDF-BA9AF523CFA2.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks