• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft splines

Garagefull

The 6-inch lift has the factory driveshaft all the way at the end of the splines (stretched to the maximum length). So with the shackles being at the rear of the leaf spring, I assume that I should measure to split the spline travel to be in the middle?with the shackle being in the rear is going to shorten the drive shaft under compression, and I can't see having the old truck completely off the ground..or should I go a little deeper than halfway four more contact area under normal conditions? I guess my line of thinking comes where the the driveshaft will get shorter under compression, whereas my m715 with a shackle upfront would get longer.

Chaski

The 6-inch lift has the factory driveshaft all the way at the end of the splines (stretched to the maximum length). So with the shackles being at the rear of the leaf spring, I assume that I should measure to split the spline travel to be in the middle?with the shackle being in the rear is going to shorten the drive shaft under compression, and I can't see having the old truck completely off the ground..or should I go a little deeper than halfway four more contact area under normal conditions? I guess my line of thinking comes where the the driveshaft will get shorter under compression, whereas my m715 with a shackle upfront would get longer.
I'd talk to the driveshaft shop you are using for measuring instructions. Also, there are extended slip setups available. The geometry gets pretty funky with that much lift, you can have such a difference in length from full droop to full compression that you may end up needing an extended slip setup, and possibly a high angle CV to avoid binding at the transfer case. Practice opening your wallet now to be ready!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to correct forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks