• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivetrain noise

allenhillview

Just finished seals in both output shafts in TC, filled with new fluid twice, first time I did rear seal then front shaft looked moist so I ordered new ORD mounts and replaced front seal at this time, requiring a second fluid refill.

I can now hear a wind sounding noise at different times, very faint but for sure there.

Is it the new fluid?, Has the fluid made it appear tightened up a bit? With the new mounts can it be causing me to hear the chain turning?, doesn't do it all the time just every few seconds, doesn't seem to get louder as speed increases, just the same pitch all the time.

Balanced drive shaft before, so this did not start till I did the mounts and seals.

Should I have replaced bushing, it did not have wear marks on shaft yoke nor was the bushing wore in obscure manner, truck is 28,000 miles?

No vibration..no clunking..etc.

I will appreciate any input and passed encounters.

Last edited:

mudman

When you drive it,and listening for the sound, are you under acceleration / coasting / or decelerating. It makes a difference on how it loads the bearings. As far as tighting the chain...Nice thought but no! What shape are your u-joints in? If it were mine I'd run it untill something really sounds off.. Just my 2 cents.

allenhillview

Yes Thanks, my thoughts exactly on driving till something more shows up its probably nothing I'm just a stickler when it comes to details, my imagination runs wild.

I didn't think I tightened chain but did the new fluid make it appear more re-sounding?

No difference in acceleration, deceleration, coasting.

I'm going to put it up on lift and run it, see if I can hear it.

Checked all u-joints when balancing shaft. Its just a sound not vibration. Real smooth over-all.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

Mine does that for a few miles after I use 4x4 in snow for a while. It gradually goes away on mine. I figured it had to do with the chain moving slightly under load and putting more stress on one of the bearings, causing more noise. If it's full of clean fluid and quiet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks