• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dropside tie down point rating

8madjack

I've done quite a bit of searching in the manuals, on the site, and online and have not been able to find any information on the weight rating capacity for the little fold down tie down points inside of a drop side bed.

They don't look super substantial so I don't expect that they would be very high but I'm curious as I don't want to ruin the ones I have I over doing it.

I'm considering welding some tie down points into the bottom of the bed like the fmtv beds for heavy cargo needs.

So my question is does anybody know the actual rating or have the technical manual for cargo handling in these trucks?

I find stuff about loading the truck as cargo but not about loading Cargo in the truck.

Thanks and my apologies if it's something obvious that I just missed.

Tie-downs I'm referring to specifically are on the m923 style bed.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe it or not, but I was told they are rate for 3000lbs, not sure I would trust them for that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've used 2 pairs of them and they held a HMMWV just fine for 3000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8madjack

Thats awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for is some real world experience, although I would love to actually see what they rated than that in the manual.

That tanks going to weigh about 13,000 pounds and I've got 6 on each side. I think the simplest answer is to make some turnbuckles from the pallet to the tie down. They will angle down slightly so they will pull the pallet down and keep it centered.

Guyfang

Staff member
Mad Jack,

i seem to remember, when we modified all our trucks with the kits, that the kits came with a TB, Technical Bulleten. In the TB was all that info and instructions on how to install it right. I will ask someone I know, if he can dig that up, if he is still employed for Uncle Sam. It might also be on the 2.5 ton disc.

8madjack

Thanks for the thread I found the technical bulletin which goes into great detail on installing them but doesn't list their capacity.

Unfortunately the links to other threads in that thread are all broken.

As a side note I've noticed that in some of the older threads the links no longer work

74M35A2

Was wondering same on this, thanks to the OP. I bought some aircraft seat belts, and are able to drop them between the troop seat slats and clip them to these points. It seems like thin metal at the hinged retaining portion. Not expecting to really use them to their full strength, truck weighs a lot when hitting any other movable object. Did so for legality reasons if need be for the Woodward Dream Cruise that just occurred. Each city has its own ordinances for passengers in rear beds, so was hoping this to alleviate all where I live and the areas I drove it through for such.

For real metal cargo, as mentioned by others above, I usually use a large ratchet strap over the bed sides down to the truck frame. This can stress the bed sides some, but not terribly.

Guyfang

Staff member
The tie down points are really very good. We used to transport a HAWK Missile Loader/Transporter on LWB 5 ton beds. Used 16 ratchet straps to tie it down. There was a complicated diagram of how to properly tie the rig down. Never had a problem, and I did see several trucks that had accidents. The load stayed where its supposed to.

8madjack

The tie down points are really very good. We used to transport a HAWK Missile Loader/Transporter on LWB 5 ton beds. Used 16 ratchet straps to tie it down. There was a complicated diagram of how to properly tie the rig down. Never had a problem, and I did see several trucks that had accidents. The load stayed where its supposed to.
When you consider Dynamic loading in a case like an accident that's pretty impressive because you might think they would snap.

I actually called AM General today and they forwarded me to somebody where I left a voicemail. Based on what you guys have told me I feel comfortable using them but now it's just a matter of curiosity.

I will monitor it closely once I fill my tank and get my system setup. If I'm uncomfortable with it I will go with a sturdy set up at I've got in mind.

I really appreciate the input and if I find out anything definitive I will share it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used them as sling points for removing a 5 ton bed. They are much tougher than they appear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks