• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Skyjacker steering stabilizer question? DANA 60 M1008/2

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

So I got the kit the other day and it came with instructions for a two piece tie rod. Skyjacker confirmed that I have the right kit. I replace the factory shock with the skyjacker shock. I cant figuer out where/how the second shock mounts to the housing/ tie rod. Skyjacker said it goes on the passenger side. I cant get it to fit because to the diif cover is on the way of the shock travel. Has anyone used/seen this kit for the 60? Any pics? FOR SOME REASON NOTHING EVER GOES EASY ON THIS BEAST!!!!

Attachments

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

RE: Dual Skyjacker steering stabilizer question? DANA 60 M10

I spoke with an idiot from skyjacker today. After being on hold for an hour and being disconnected once, the dumba$$ told me that the kit does fit my vehicle. I asked him for a picture of the installed product or simply where the second shock goes. He said that they dont have a picture but the second shock goes from the axle to the drag link. I then told him that I do not have a crossover drag link because its a K30. He then got frustrated and told me that it does fit. The lesson is DONT BUY SKYJACKER (NO SUPPORT OR INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE K30).

CCATLETT1984

I prefer the BDS twin shock kit, it mounts both on the drivers side, one below the other. you can buy just the mounting kit for around $35 new at an offroad shop.

acetomatoco

Oh yes... by the way ...your truck is not a K30, it is a D3 and gummint stuff is always different when you least expect it!! ACE

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Dual Skyjacker steering stabilizer question? DANA 60

acetomatoco said:
Oh yes... by the way ...your truck is not a K30, it is a D3 and gummint stuff is always different when you least expect it!! ACE
hope you meant D30!!!

and all of the drivetrain and suspension is the same as the K30, with the exception of the rear springs (they seem heavier than any civilian option).

the only other differences are with the Glow Plug controller and the 24v starting system.

sorry...

1028...sorry i didn't respond to your PM.havn't logged on in a while.

In answer,no i havn't installed a dual stabalizer.just chucked the worn out stocker,and installed a single heavy duty one.from rancho.I had a look on the skyjacker web site and the dual kit is,i think,meant for a parralell mount (one over the other).at least thats what the footnote said(couldn't find a drawing).there is physically no way a dual inline mount will fit,unless the second shock mounts with the body end away from the pumpkin.

As for DW problems (as per your pm)...i am happy to report iv'e had no such trouble.The only issue i have is terrible steering geometry,and some adverse yaw under heavy braking,which i believe is caused by front end dive,leading to an effect similar to bumpsteer.DW can be difficult to resolve.iv'e even experienced it on a new 2006 f-350 truck that our company rented.The key thing here is to realize that the stabalizer is really a bandaid for the real problem.you could throw a dozen stabalizers at it and still not resolve the issue.

it could be anything from worn kingpins to an issue with caster,worn shocks,loose tie rod ends,cracked frame around the steering box...you name it.hopefully the duals will calm things down enough to make it tolerable.if not,your going to have to check EVERYTHING.you may be stuck experimenting...DW sucks.good luck.

Hookin1

Have someone watch the steering box while you wiggle the wheel back and forth,or vice versa....when i had mine the steering box came loose on the frame just enough to get a wooble in the front end

ultim8gamr

you may want to check the kingpins like chser suggested. I have deathwobble on my truck and am in the process of correcting it. does anyone know how likely it is that the tires can cause it, ive been told the old tires on the truck are the culprit, but i still think its kingpins.
John

1956_4x4

ultim8gamr said:
you may want to check the kingpins like chser suggested. I have deathwobble on my truck and am in the process of correcting it. does anyone know how likely it is that the tires can cause it, ive been told the old tires on the truck are the culprit, but i still think its kingpins.
John
There's a good chance it is the tires. It could also be a lot of other things. The springs on the king pin bushings wear over time. Some people just shim them with fender washers, but the replacement springs are cheap. Steering/suspension components and alignment can also cause problems.

Smitty

SsjSned

cucv build-up

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/projectbuild/131_0609_1986_chevy_one_ton/ just figured id post this link where a 1008 gets a 4" skyjacker lift and they mention the dual shock mount being a issue "The install is pretty straightforward, and we only had a few small hiccups, such as rusted spring-eye bolts (replacements not included), rusted U-bolts (replacements are included), and weird military fuel lines that ran right where the front dual-shock mount is designed to go." nothing else is mentioned about the mount but its still a cool build on the cucv.

IGI

Hi, I'm italian and I have a 1985 M1008. I have to replace the steering stabilizer becuase I mounted bigger tires (9.00 - 16). The civilian stabilizers for the K30 are right?

Thank you very much!!! :smile:

Luigi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks