• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Durability question

1ghiaman

I have some upcoming paint work and had a durability question that I could not find an answer two in the search.

I need to do some touch up paint to a M923 tailgate, bed and hard top. I also need to repaint some blue practice bombs OD green so they dont look like... practice bombs. The leading edge of the bombs will take a beating up in the air and if I get into any rain it will sometimes errode paint pretty quick.

How well does the GCI paint from Rapco hold up if applied correctly? Are any of the other Lowes/Home depot brands listed in the sticky post better than another? Sherwin williams?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

glivdub03

i have also used rapco paint and it is very tough. How ever i feel that the paint is not a good match to the original. i painted a bumper for my m923a1 and the color is to light and im not a fan of the egg shell finish. I have also used the Aervoe paint and it is the closest match but after a year the color turns very pail and does not look good. Is there any other paint that matches well and comes in a spray can for touch ups?? The Rapco paint i sprayed from a paint gun and followed the proper steps in reducing and applying such as proper psi, air temp, coating and re coat windows.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I grew up with the inventor's son so I might be partial to this product http://www.endura.ca

It is a poly paint and is used on aircraft. Here are some US. Distributors. http://www.endura.ca/distributors/distributors.html

It's hard for me to be objective so I'll leave you the links and let you check it out. The folks painted their house eaves and gables with it in the 70's and even though it's time to paint again, still looks good.

Just another product to check out.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rapcoparts (aka gillispie paint) is great. It's not toxic like the real CARC and they have all the military colors to choose from, which makes it an easy one stop shop. They also have paint cans so you can do small touch up stuff. I am very pleased.

glivdub03

Rapcoparts (aka gillispie paint) is great. It's not toxic like the real CARC and they have all the military colors to choose from, which makes it an easy one stop shop. They also have paint cans so you can do small touch up stuff. I am very pleased.
How did the paint match?

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint is perfect. It's the same color without the CARC, they used the same specs. It's also oil based so much easier to apply and it does hold up very nicely. Just make sure to either DR the paint first before applying and or take the current paint to bare metal and reprime, etc.

Woodsplinter

I repainted my deuce with Rapco semi- gloss- it is durable but faded badly after only 3 months. It is solvent based (Xylene) not oil.
I have read many posts regarding Behr house paint- after it fully cures it is nearly impossible to remove and is water based.

1ghiaman

Thanks for all the input! I bought a gallon of the Rapco and will give it a squirt. I'm going to prep and paint the front bumper first since GL has a bunch of graffiti all over it. If that works, I'll do the bombs. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Jeepsinker

why does nobody listen to me? Diamondkote from your local PPG supplier mixed to your FS paint code is going to be the toughest stuff you can get. it does not fade out in a couple years either. It is epoxy based paint, has a lot of resin in it. This is INDUSTRIAL paint. The shops on Fort Polk actually use it here, as do the plants and paper mill in other colors. Once it cures the only thing that takes it off is mechanical removal(sanding or blasting) or aircraft stripper in large amounts and several coats.

Woodsplinter

Jeepsinker- what sheen does Diamondkote come in? Flat, semi, etc. Can you spray it with an HVLP sprayer? Sounds like good stuff- I may try some when I repaint my cargo bed.

Jeepsinker

When you order it you have to tell them you want flat, otherwise you will end up with semi- gloss. Flat is perfect as far as the sheen goes, but it is thinner because the additives to flatten it thin it out, so it requires less thinner. I believe xylene is the thinner to use if you need to thin it, but I've never needed to. Sprays nicely with an HVLP gun and lays down well, just be careful of runs. It builds very nicely as well. And at $30-$40 a gallon depending on the color how can you go wrong? Superior to house paint and about the same price. Bear in mind that there may be a price difference between your supplier and mine though.

Jeepsinker

Oh, when you tell them flat, tell the FLAT FLAT. Really emphasize that and tell them you are painting an MV. Also, it sticks best to(you guessed it) 2k primer. You want to prime it and then shoot color just after the primer has flashed off, 15 minutes or so. DO NOT let the primer cure overnight. If you do it will start to chip and delaminate after it goes through it's first winter. You want the color to bind with the primer really well.

davo727

When I google that all I get is some kind of snake oil paint protection treatment, I don't see it in PPG site either?

why does nobody listen to me? Diamondkote from your local PPG supplier mixed to your FS paint code is going to be the toughest stuff you can get. it does not fade out in a couple years either. It is epoxy based paint, has a lot of resin in it. This is INDUSTRIAL paint. The shops on Fort Polk actually use it here, as do the plants and paper mill in other colors. Once it cures the only thing that takes it off is mechanical removal(sanding or blasting) or aircraft stripper in large amounts and several coats.

1ghiaman

Sounds like this might be better for the bombs. I have used PPG Concept before and their products are pretty easy to use. I wonder if just giving them the paint code will tell them if it's flat or not or how much flatener to put in. Thanks for the tip!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks