• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eagles mini jeep

eagle4g63

Well not exactly a "military" vehicle, but quite a few veterans that saw it the first time asked me the "history" about it and how did I ever get my hands on such a "rare" vehicle....hahaha

One of the projects I did manage to finally get around to doing was pretty special. One it was something I could afford to do, it got an old busted up golf cart out of my back yard so the wife quick complaining about it, and last and more important....it was a project I got to do with my granddaughter!! She helped out tremendously, and she loves driving it. Said if anything ever happens to me it is hers...lol, of course I said sure.

And don't worry, I will post a BUNCH of pictures of it and tell the rest of the story later after work. Enjoy for now.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

NICE! that's as good as a t**, in my book.
'Better actually'.
And you would see a few of those running around at events over here..(But not as nice as yours.).

eagle4g63

As stated, here is a bit of the story. The cart started life as a way that its owner, a veteran with a disability could get around at the museum I later became in charge of. The old curator and he(the veteran) kind of got in a bit of a difference as to who's cart it was....as we all KNEW it to be the veterans cart as he bought it...even though it was used by the museum and at museum events. Well as time passed so did he. His wife and daughters were still involved with the museum and so the cart stayed with the museum to use. The cart had suffered major neglect and abuse by the old curator and his kids to the point it had become unusable and damaged so it got stuffed in a storage trailer and then piled with stuff on it....forward a few years, the old curator was moving and I took over. At the point that I started to clean the place up and try to put things right I had found the lost to time cart and had a long talk to the owners wife and kids about maybe trying to fix it and put it back to use, or they could have it back. It looked like they were going to let the museum have it, however the old curator started a battle over the cart...money and time he had invested in it(blah, blah, blah) however all us old members knew it was always this guys cart and HIS family had the right to say what THEY wanted to do with it.

Well it turned out that another long time member also with a walking disability and the late veterans wife were great friends, so the two ladies had figured that the wife was going to give the other member the cart and she could do whatever she wanted to do with it even sell it if she wanted. Now as it turned out this lady was dating a guy...happened to be the old curators brother...the cart had been taken to this ladies house...her boyfriend had tried to fix the cart and couldn't....his brother told him he had parts off it so it couldn't be fixed and should just give him the cart....again a year or 2 passes and the car is still outside sitting and sinking into the ground.

This lady and I were also friends as I was with the original owners family, to stop the brothers fighting over this beat to **** cart that pretty much wasn't worth the scrap it was made from I was told by both ladies to come retrieve the cart and get rid of it. So I retrieved it and put it in my yard to see if things could get resolved. After sitting for another year I had talked to the original owners wife and ask her what she wanted me to do with it...she was concerned if I ever fixed it and took it back to the museum to use that the whole fight would start all over so told me do what ever I wanted with it, junk it or keep it for myself. She knew that for years I have always donated the use of my vehicles to the local VFW's and American Legions for use in any parades they we going to be involved with so I told her I would do something with it and use it for what it originally was purchased, for helping veterans.

So I finally got off my butt and pulled it out of the back of my yard this last year and started to see if it was even worth trying to do anything with it...a bunch of rigging and making jumper wires everywhere it tried to move on its own so the project went forward.

I wish I had taken really good pictures of it before I pulled it out of the yard and started to clean it up, these are the only pictures kind of showing the shape it was in, including a very poor spray bomb with and spray can of cheap od paint that looked like $H*% over spray everywhere, busted front end and rear quarter panel, busted roof and windshield frame, all junk tires and two ruined rims, battery trays rotted away, almost every wire swollen and corroded and nothing working including the brakes.

Attachments

eagle4g63

Rolling out with the new paint job, yes she helped do that also....she is actually VERY good at painting(she helps paint a lot of the vehicles at the museum). We used exterior house paint and believe it or not this was all done with those mini rollers with a fine roller skin...only brushed the tight spots we couldn't get with the roller...three coats and it looked great.

Attachments

eagle4g63

We hand cut all our stencils that we used on this cart...NEVER again, it was a royal pain.

The rear bumper used to be a front bumper from a mule that took a bit of straightening and also had to narrow it a little bit, but with a little bit of modification it fit great and looked like it belongs there.

Cut up an old damaged pioneer tool rack for the parts to use for axe mount and shovel mount.

Some new old stock document bags and a military waterproof plug, so I can pull 24v for accessories.

Attachments

eagle4g63

Some more finishing touches....I added a footman's loop to the top of the windshield to hang my grandfathers dogtag from along with a couple of poppies I was given from one of my veteran buddies.

I made completely new seats and sewed the covers from surplus military canvas.

Also redid an old ww2 helmet to go with. One of my other buddies gave me a few stickers to use on the dash, one being a seat belt sticker, so I made a bracket and happened to have a NOS set of seat belts from the mutt roll over protection package...don't even remember how I ever got them.

It seamed every time me and my granddaughter dug through the piles of stuff I had accumulated over the years looking for something for the cart, we would run into other stuff that "Had to go on it"...so we did. While almost everything that this cart is equipped with is actual military parts, there are a couple that aren't but look like they should be there(the mini rotating beacon light for one). We even put data tags on it and are going to put more when I can find what I want. There are a few more things to do, but for now it is pretty awesome in my book.

And it went off GREAT at its debut at this years 4th of July parades....it even got used as the grand marshal vehicle for one of the towns!!

Attachments

eagle4g63

Parade pics, with veterans driving it!!

One of my proudest times, that they all loved it and it got to lead the 4th of July parade!!

Hope you guys enjoyed my very long winded thread. I will add more pictures when I get the other things done to it this year.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks