• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical issue on 1990 M923A2

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All-
Took Bertha to help my cousin move a bus (No big deal, never put her in low and never locked in the front wheels).

ANYWAY....
I shut down to visit and when I got back in to start to build air..... nothing.....

I checked my grounds and battery cables and tightened them all just to be sure as that was the last place I had my hands (when I was connecting the convoy lights) and still... dead dash, no clickety click when I turned starter switch to run.

I **did** have dash, head and running lights.

I zip tied the fuel shut off and starting solenoid in place and was able to arc the starter and get home.

While I was driving, all my dash guages etc worked fine, no issues.

When I got home, I cut the zip ties and the truck immediately died.

It seems my starting solenoid on the drivers side near the fuel shut off isn't being held in place, and of course the no power when I turned the starter switch to run.

I have a good battery switch, all good connections.

Is it possible I have a bad solenoid in the PCB? Tomorrow I'll get out with my meter and start checking, but I need to know where to start.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard of pretty common issues with the PCB. And it sounds about right from your description. Try tapping it with a hammer, seems to free up the solenoids.

😳😳😳 those are EXACTLY my symptons!!!

I bow to your knowledge and the ability to find it! Thank you! As I said, I'll start troubleshooting right there in the morning.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
😳😳😳 those are EXACTLY my symptons!!!

I bow to your knowledge and the ability to find it! Thank you! As I said, I'll start troubleshooting right there in the morning.

Thank you, but sadly its just a defective memory. It saves all sorts of random information, but never what I really need. (Like what it was that I was going into the store for in the first place. Haha.) Ironically, i don't even own that series of truck.

If that doesn't do the trick, just go through the process. Start with batteries, good voltage, good connections. Check for good, clean, tight ground connection. Then start following the flow, cable connections, PCB, starter, etc.

Best of luck with the diagnosis.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It **is** the PCB. I ordered some solenoids, should be here tomorrow morning.

This should also resolve my "dash power doesn't turn off" issue.
So, did the "love tap" that Wes has mentioned before get your truck to start?
Or did you go straight to uncovering the solenoids and find the white fuzz and crud inside?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, did the "love tap" that Wes has mentioned before get your truck to start?
Or did you go straight to uncovering the solenoids and find the white fuzz and crud inside?
Tried the love tap... all it did was pop the cover and break the sealant inside. I even tried tapping directly on the solenoids. No love. 🤷‍♂️ New solenoids will be in tomorrow morning and I'll rebuild it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks