• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil in CDR valve?

NMC_EXP

Decided to clean the CDR valve on my M1009. Removed the oil fill tube to CDR hose at the CDR end and some oil ran out of the hose. There was oil in the CDR valve itself. Probably a shot glass full total.

How does oil get all the way up there? (I have a bad feeling about this).

Other questions:

After I cleaned the CDR with hot soapy water I found that I could blow thru it from both ends with no restriction. Is this valve stuck open or is it supposed to be that way?

Whats with all of the side plumbing on the oil fill tube? Looks like there is more there than just a place to add oil to the crankcase and vent to the CDR.

I cleaned the oil fill cap with hot soapy water also. Afterwards I could see a thin sheet metal disk in the cap which was free to move up and down. The cap won't hold water so it is vented - don't know if it's supposed to be that way or if it's busted?

Thanks

Jim

Zero_cool

So oil in the CDR is normal?
I read somewhere on here that if you have oil in the CDR it is because of engine blow by.
I to can blow threw both ends with no resitance , is this normal?

chicagodiesel

I have a new CDR and engine going in to the manifold...not much, but hey, it burns, right?! All seriousness though, not saying it's good or bad, just now there is someone else out there like you. What's there to figure out but new rings, maybe rehoning, and valve seals? Too much work to think about right now considering everything else. Good luck.

wired1000

I too removed my CDR valve to clean it today and found a shotglass full of oil in it (distributed evenly among the hoses and CDR itself. My CDR looks pretty new (definitely not 25 years old, maybe 5 years at most). All the CDR-related tubes were well sealed. So, I was about to post this exact question. Looking forward to hearing some of the experts opinions!

Stan Leschert

A little oil is OK. That is what this is designed to do.

And NO, it's a one way valve, and shouldn't blow both ways.
It's meant to vent the crankcase emissions up, and not get fuel back into your lube oil.

If you have too much oil in your valve, you have a back pressure problem,
which usually involves a ring and rebore job.

If your compression is fine, just clean and replace the CDR.
They're cheap, and will help you meet your next emissions test.

Last edited:

Zero_cool

After a little more research i have found that it is a one way valve (under pressure).
A diaphragm seal is sucked down from the air intake and opens and closes the valve as needed.
When the engine is shut down , the spring inside the CDR pushes the valve open.
Only finding this out by cutting my good cdr open and seeing how it works , i thought i would share with everyone else.
My camera took a crap so i couldn't take pics of mine....aua....but after many more hours of searching i found another member had already posted pics.
( wish i would have seen before i cut mine ):nothingfunny:.....

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/2...er-tune-up-questions.html?highlight=CDR+valve

Hope i did the link thing right...
jdemaris posted some great pics of the inside of a CDR valve. Page - 8 post #77

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks