• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine starting problems

shadow

Every time I go to start my M275 with a stright 6 cylinder continental I have to use starting fluid in a spray can. I got tired of having to take the rubber hose off to spray the carb so I cut a small hole in it so all I have to do is aim for the hole reaching in from the side panel without have to open the hood. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries spraying about 5-7 seconds each to get it to start. After it is running I can shut it off and restart it again a few hours later with no problems.

Is it normal to have to spray it because of it's age or is somthing wrong with the carb or fuel pump?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. You guys are great at giving info about military vehicles and I don't want to make anyone mad with all my questions.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shadow,
I see you are in Clear Rapids, Iowa. You will want to put that in your signature, as it's one of the few requirements here.

And ask all the questions you can. THESE FOLKS ARE GREAT at answering them.

As I have the multi diesel, I can't answer from a deuce standpoint, but it sounds to me you have a problem with your carb. Do you start it daily or let it sit for several days before restarting for it? The reason I ask is that I had a truck that the carb had a leak. If it set for a couple of days or more, the carb fuel bowl would drain and it would take several attempts before it filled up enough to get the truck to start.

I'm SURE someone here can give you better info that I have. Good luck on solving this problem. jim

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Verify that the accelerator pump is working. With time, they dry out and when you pump the gas, they don't prime the engine as necessary.

Also, I would run a pressure/volume test on the fuel pump.

shadow

Thanks for the info. :)
I usually have a few days before starting it up again to move it and I have to go threw all that stuff of starting it but if I am starting it in the same day I almost never have a problem with it.
I am not used to this type of engine with the carb opening on its side. I haven't looked very close at the carb or engine yet. I am hoping I can fit the truck into my storage unit to work on it. I have seen pictures of the top off and the window down so I think if I do that it will just clear the overhead door on the unit. I have to pull a motor out of one of my 4x4's to put into another one of my 4x4's and after that I will try and fit the M275 into the unit. If I do I will take some pics and post them.

wallew, I apologize for the mistake. I listed my location in my signature box and not in the Location box. I think I have it updated right this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks