• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Equipment for my new Deuce

nofearnohope

I am now the proud owner of a 1970 M35A2. I am interested in learning what type of equipment other owners are using for some of the daunting tasks of maintaining these vehicles.

What type of jack?
Where and how are you changing tires, as these have the 2-piece wheels that I have heard are quite dangerous?
Are you using pneumatic tools run from the air system on-board?
Any other tips I can get to get the most fun with the least effort possible.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I use an air over hydraulic jack, 15ton. I got a big 1" drive impact for the lug nuts too. Anytime you can use an air powered tool, it speeds things up. The rims are easy, just pay attention to what you are doing. I did a write up of breaking down a tire here somewhere. If the truck is new to you, I would check the brakes first and formost. While in there, it will be easy to see what shape the wheel bearings are in. I had one blow out on the road and it was NO FUN!

wsucougarx

Bottle jack
Changing tires is no big deal other than the weight. As far as the 2-piece design, the danger mostly lies in mounting/air up the tires-need to cage the wheel/tire.
The air system on the truck really doesn't have a large enough air tank to power that many tools. However, if you use a separate air reservoir it would make it much easier. I use the air system to run my air hose.
Other tips would be to add the following accessories:
Solargizer-keeps your batteries maintained esp if you don't drive that often
Geared lug wrench-helps with breaking the nuts on the rear duals
Air tank drain kit-kit that allows you to drain air tanks w/out crawling under truck

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack - 8 or 10 ton bottle jack from china freight.
Tire Tools - get the wrenches to get the tires off and put the spare on, leave the fixing to those who get paid and do it every day.
Pneumatic - unless you invest in a secondary tank, using air tools will be a slow process.
Other tips - find some folks local to you to share the experience. Then start reading all the forums related to the deuce, and the TM's we have posted here on the site.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

dittle

I've got a 12 ton bottle jack (way overkill) and a 1/2" drive impact from Northern Tool ($149.00) that takes my tires off with no issue; even those tires put on by a 3/4" impact that we have at the museum. I went and bought both sockets for the studs after I ruined the square drive socket part of a combination socket. Tooltopia.com has both sockets. As far as air supply just cranke up the RPM to 1500 or so and it should do fine. Took the tires off a 40 ton lowboy on Saturday with my impact and Deuce.

I know I'm going to have the naysays say that a Deuce can provide the air to do that with but I have about 20 witnesses that saw otherwise.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 20 ton bottle jack from china freight. Get a combination "Budd Lug" socket, 1 1/2" hex with a square insert for the rear wheels. I already had a good IR 1/2 and 3/4 impact wrench and full set of sockets, extensions, universals and adapters for both. But if you can afford them, they are a great thing to have. I picked up a 5 gallon air tank from Tractor Supply Co. and a glad hand coupler from NAPA and made an aux. air tank to use the air from the truck. Just bump up the RPM's as mantioned earlier and you're good to go.

If you are doing the brakes, buy a 3" 8 sided wheel bearing socket for the wheel bearing nuts when you pull the hubs. OTC is the manufacturer and 1907 is the part number. They are plentiful on E-pay. Also, build a pressure bleeder for bleeding the brakes. I bought all of the components at my local hardware store for about $20. Makes that job much, much easier and you can do it by yourself!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
leave the fixing to those who get paid and do it every day.
The only problem with that is that it's got to where alot of tire shops won't even touch split ring wheels anymore and the shops that will charge you an arm and a leg. I've heard as much as $50 a wheel.

The safest way to air up a rear tire is to mount it on the truck before adding air. If the ring comes off all it can do is hit the other tire. This won't work on the front though.

Big CASE

The safest way to air up a rear tire is to mount it on the truck before adding air. If the ring comes off all it can do is hit the other tire. This won't work on the front though.[/quote]

DO NOT do this ...

If you have to change a tire THINK before you do it . 1 of 2 think you will need to do this safe 1. a tire cage or 2. a chain.
I like a chain . you rap it over the tire and in the rim. so the lock ring wont jump off . let the air out . them take your tire hammer with a spoon end on it and hit the tire right behind the rim , it will POP that is why you have the CHAIN ON IT .. them you can take off the chain and then pull off the lock ring off . change the tire . NOW PUT the CHAIN back on the tire an throw the rim and start airing it up, WATCH it as the tire inflates look at the ring make sheer it sets on the ring again it will POP when it sets . NOW you have dun it right and SAFE .. I have been working on these tip of tires for a LONG time ., if you do not watch what you are doing you WILL GET HURT !!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Never heard of using a chain when breaking a tire down. If you do it that way, thats fine for you. Once the valve core is out there is no pressure to fling the lock ring at you. That is why they are chained or caged at air-up. The inflation pushes the tire over the lock ring. Thats the only time it can come off the rim. That usually happens at 30-35psi. Once the tire is seated, good luck getting the ring off.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The safest way to air up a rear tire is to mount it on the truck before adding air. If the ring comes off all it can do is hit the other tire. This won't work on the front though.

DO NOT do this ...

If you have to change a tire THINK before you do it . 1 of 2 think you will need to do this safe 1. a tire cage or 2. a chain.
With the rear tire mounted on the truck it's as good as caged. You've got to put it on the truck anyway when you're done ( unless it's a spare or a front). The only way a ring could get you with the tire mounted on the rear of the truck is if you had a body part between the duals when the ring came off.

I've used a chain also but if it's going on the back of the truck I just install it before airing and I don't have to mess with the chain.

DUECE-COUPE

i have seen the tire slid under the rear end and aired up. if the ring comes off, it will just hit the underside of the axle housing. in a pich, this is ok, but if you can, use a cage.

Big CASE

With the rear tire mounted on the truck it's as good as caged. You've got to put it on the truck anyway when you're done ( unless it's a spare or a front). The only way a ring could get you with the tire mounted on the rear of the truck is if you had a body part between the duals when the ring came off.

I've used a chain also but if it's going on the back of the truck I just install it before airing and I don't have to mess with the chain.
I know what you are saying.. tho if you do it that way you mint not get the tire and rim to set right . and then when you put the truck on the ground you will pop the tire or pop it off the rim.. That is why I said NOT to do it your way.. if you had no choose .. it will work .. but I like going things safe and only one time .. that's all .

dk8019

Question about the Budd's socket, mine seems to have grown legs, and I need to buy another one. Where's the best place to buy one? My last one was with my M109 in the the tool box.

dittle

Northern Tool online, Tooltopia online. I bought one of the NT ones and it would barely reach (by 1/8") the square drive part of the socket. Ended up rounding out the corners of the socket so I bought a 13/16" square drive socket off of Tooltopia and it works great. Have to carry 2 sockets now instead of 1, but atleast I can get my tires off.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does the same thing, so I just hold it out about 1/8th of an inch while loosening or tightening the outer nut and it's fine.

Member "houdel" has them for sale, or at least he did...I think he wanted like $20 for them. Send him a PM and ask. At least I'm pretty sure that's who had them. I bought mine from E-pay for a little less than that or I would have bought one of his.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks