• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether Alternatives?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that it's getting cold again (why's it keep doing that?) and I've read many, many times how BAD either is, what alternatives do we have?
We are running WMO so the flame heater doesn't work (and mine has the either kit w/ no bottle). I do start cutting it w/ gas or sometimes ATF but this is something that we run into at other times of the year as well. We may start the day at sea level and then spend the night above 8,000 where it may freeze that night. They don't always want to start the next morning being that we still have 100% WMO in them.

Are there GOOD alternatives available to us? Is Starting fluid just either?

I'm looking for some help here. Don't want to keep using SF at these times and don't want to spend the $50+ on a bottle for mine if it's that bad for the engine.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, starting fluid is just ether.

Some people have success with a gasoline soaked rag NEAR the intake so the gas fumes are pulled into the intake, or WD40 rather than ether.

But, in reality the ether is not bad for the engine...IF used correctly.

DO NOT spray ether into an engine with Glow plugs or manifold heaters

DO NOT spray ether into the intake and then crank the engine...ONLY use ether if the engine is already cranking over

Put a new bottle on your ether start kit and use it once the engine is cranking and you'll be fine.

Ford Mechanic

Why can't you spray and then crank? What differance does it make?
And when you do spray it do you just spray it into the mushroom on the side or open the air cleaner box and spray it down the tube?

Sorry never had to use starter fluid on a vehicle.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, starting fluid is just ether.

Some people have success with a gasoline soaked rag NEAR the intake so the gas fumes are pulled into the intake, or WD40 rather than ether. . .

. . .DO NOT spray ether into the intake and then crank the engine...ONLY use ether if the engine is already cranking over
Why can't you spray and then crank? What differance does it make?
And when you do spray it do you just spray it into the mushroom on the side or open the air cleaner box and spray it down the tube?

Sorry never had to use starter fluid on a vehicle.
Why can't you "spray & crank"? I've had to spray then run around to the otherside of the truck to get in and crank it. That is going to make it much harder :-/ It turns into a two person job.
FM - On mine I can pull the mushroom off, it's just held on by the fit, and I spray a small amount on the air filter. Then I RUN around to the otherside . . . climb up in the truck, kinda get jammed up in between the steering wheel and seat, . . . get my foot on the clutch and push the RED button.

Mostly it works :)

I have used gas in a spray bottle. We had a cold night at Music Fest that Elise was vending, next morning no SF, batts starting to slow down, . . . found a quad and pulled some from there. Sacrificed a spray bottle, and sprayed some down into the intake (past the filter) didn't feel like I wanted gas on the filter. Then I walked around and turned it over. Started well enough, but that was my only time.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray and crank...ask HDexpert what happens when you get a cylinder full of ether and THEN crank it over...broken pistons and rings and major repairs. If you give it a squirt of ether and then crank it over you run the chance of all of the ether getting sucked into just one cylinder. If the engine is already cranking, the ether will be dispersed evenly across all 6 cylinders. This is WAY better for the engine.

Also, you don't need to make it a 2 person job. I did it with mine several times by myself, when it was too warm for the ether kit, but too cold to fire off using a think oil/gas mixture as fuel. Spray your ether off in the air somewhere and see how far it actually shoots out of that can. Just crack open the passenger side windshield, and push the starter switch with your left hand and then shoot the ether through the open windshield with your right hand in the general direction of the mushroom. There will be enough air being sucked into the mushroom to pull the ether into the engine. Remember, all you need are fumes, the ether doesn't need to be sprayed directly into the intake.

markmontana

Use the ether bottles and set your truck up to work with the bottles. It's slick and effective.

The bottles are the correct ether for diesel engines. They have lubrication added. I have heard there are some types of starting fluid that are not lubed and should not be used in diesels.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the ether kits available? I've got it on my truck, but not on the She Beast. She's got the old style flame heater.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What Tom posted is correct about the starting fluid. I have done it many times myself from the driver's seat through the pass window. The best prices I found on a 24v ether start kit was amazon.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gimpy,
I'm guessing that the stock issue ones are either not available ,or cost way too much ;)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ether cold start systems are well designed and meter a tiny amount(correct for your engine size).

Hand operated cans spary huge volumes of ether, and in most cases you can't even spray the tiny amount that a cold start system meters.

Almost all ether sold for starting, has lubricants in it.

Read the instructions! Spray only while cranking.

Manufacturers still use ether systems on trucks and other equipment that costs 100's of thousands of dollars. It is safe when used properly.

Ether is a cold weather starting aid, not a band-aid for other problems.

Ether is much less effective(not usually recommended) for indirect injection diesel engines.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Spray and crank...ask HDexpert what happens when you get a cylinder full of ether and THEN crank it over...broken pistons and rings and major repairs. If you give it a squirt of ether and then crank it over you run the chance of all of the ether getting sucked into just one cylinder. If the engine is already cranking, the ether will be dispersed evenly across all 6 cylinders. This is WAY better for the engine.

Also, you don't need to make it a 2 person job. I did it with mine several times by myself, when it was too warm for the ether kit, but too cold to fire off using a think oil/gas mixture as fuel. Spray your ether off in the air somewhere and see how far it actually shoots out of that can. Just crack open the passenger side windshield, and push the starter switch with your left hand and then shoot the ether through the open windshield with your right hand in the general direction of the mushroom. There will be enough air being sucked into the mushroom to pull the ether into the engine. Remember, all you need are fumes, the ether doesn't need to be sprayed directly into the intake.
Yeah I'm familer with what too much either will do but didn't know that trick about thru the windshield. Thanks I'll remember that when I need it this winter.

jdr2710

I used this kit (or maybe just a similar one, I don't recall) in mine:

https://www.koldban.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=43403

The military had removed the flame heater and installed ether, then taken all but the injector when it was sold. The kit is 12 volt, but I've got a 12 volt setup, so no biggie for me.

I later found a kit on ebay that I used on an old generator.

I get my ether bottles from a local truck shop, since the hazmat charge for just 1 or 2 bottles makes the shipping too high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks