• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eventful 5 Ton Recovery

Zoidsfan77

Greetings gentlemen! I purchased a M809 (M814) 5 ton truck this Thursday, and drive it about 80 miles home.
I will create a build thread when I get around to it, so far seems to be a good truck.
I should mention that this is my first MV.

Most of my return trip took place in the dark, about half on country roads, and half on the highway.
The highway I traveled had a posted speed limit of 70MPH, and 3 lanes in each direction. I was cruising at 55MPH in the far right lane.
After driving for a bit, I suddenly feel a short, intense acceleration, and a loud bang. My first thought was engine blowup, but gauges read OK. I then looked to my left mirror, which revealed a car coasting to a stop, engulfed in flames. I pulled over and ran to the burning car. I was ready to bust some windows to try and get people out of this car, but fortunately the doors opened and both the vehicle occupants stumbled out. I dialed 911 for an ambulance and firetruck.

I grabbed as much as I could out of the car, but the fire was spreading very rapidly. It wasn't a full minute before the driver and passenger seats where on fire.

This is a crappy cell phone shot taken about 60 seconds after the impact.
2016-12-01 19.55.40.jpg
I later found out it was a late model Dodge Journey.

I only talked briefly with the vehicle occupants, they were taken by ambulance to the hospital with non life threatening injuries.

This was about 2 minutes after impact.
2016-12-01 19.58.51.jpg
The car let off several sizable explosions while it burned, I assume from bursting tires and of course fuel tank.
The vehicle burned completely to the ground.

Of course the police conducted an investigation, which took about 3 hours, but then let me go without trouble.
My trip otherwise went well, and I made it home without any other issues.

I should mention, I checked for the proper function of all exterior lights before I set off, and they all worked fine.
I didn't see anything that happened before the crash, but I was told by witnesses that the car was speeding, and attempted to overtake a Semi on the right. They moved over, and smashed right into me.
I am amazed that the car burst into flames so quickly and burned so rapidly.

My buddy who drove the pickup vehicle took better pictures and videos. I will try and update this thread when I get those from her.

My thoughts and prayers go out to both occupants of the destroyed car.

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow!!! Maybe they didn't see you because you were.......camouflaged!!! The way people drive on the highways is absolutely horrendous. Most of the time people are paying more attention to their phones than to the act of driving its self. I hope they are OK and can learn from this experience. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event and thankfully you were in a heavy truck when you took the impact. A lighter vehicle and you would most likely be at the same hospital as them.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, did your truck suffer any damage like a scratch on the bumperette or a cracked tail light lens? Yup, sudden acceleration in an 809 has to be an unusual sensation.

Jakelc15

Hope no one was hurt. Sometimes you just don't have any control over these things. People just don't pay attention enough. Now they're coming out with cars that drive themselves

Zoidsfan77

I had a similar experience, except the guy missed me...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145463-Distracted-Driving-Kills

I think hanging a tow light assembly from the tailgate and running it in addition to the stock lights will improve visibility and may prevent some of these incidents.
Wow, that wreck was really horrible! I agree distracted driving is becoming an increasing more frequent problem. I do plan on installing additional/brighter rear illumination.

As far as damage to my truck, just some paint chips on the pintle hook, and a damaged taillight (which will be repaired before my next drive).

My buddy who was following along was in an old ford explorer, most of the way she followed behind, but for this leg of the journey she was in front of me. Very fortunate for that.

Zoidsfan77

Hope no one was hurt. Sometimes you just don't have any control over these things. People just don't pay attention enough. Now they're coming out with cars that drive themselves
I work in the auto industry, personally I am against all these driver aids. They just give people the false security to text and drive. Lane keep assist, auto emergency braking, etc.

Jakelc15

I work in the auto industry, personally I am against all these driver aids. They just give people the false security to text and drive. Lane keep assist, auto emergency braking, etc.
Your exactly right. It's sad that people will have to get injured or killed to show that this isn't going to work. More of this type of stuff will happen with assisted driving cars. We have a big push at work now to repaint the lines on the roads. The cars don't work right if the lines are faded. It's all crap, what happens in a construction zone with a lane shift. Or it comes up on a slow moving MV. People obviously can't drive their cars and now they want a computer to do it for them

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't, people drive like idiots. Let Darwin sort them out. From the description, they got what they deserve. Too many folks think they are entitled to drive fast.

Zoidsfan77

Your exactly right. It's sad that people will have to get injured or killed to show that this isn't going to work. More of this type of stuff will happen with assisted driving cars. We have a big push at work now to repaint the lines on the roads. The cars don't work right if the lines are faded. It's all crap, what happens in a construction zone with a lane shift. Or it comes up on a slow moving MV. People obviously can't drive their cars and now they want a computer to do it for them
Personally, I think the solution is not to aid bad drivers with technology, but to raise the driving standards.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off I am glad that you are ok, it could have been much worse. We had a member killed when his truck was rearended, and it was broad daylight. It was also hit by a much larger vehicle.

This is the reason I broke down and decided everything gets LED tail lights and markers. I used to be a light bulb purist, but I do a lot of night MV night driving, and the LEDs are way easier to see.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mechanical issues make recoveries challenging enough without having to deal with suicidal drivers. Glad you made it home safe.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed LED tail lights shortly after I bought my Model A. The olive drab paint, although semi-gloss, causes the car to be eerily similar to a military vehicle at night. It essentially disappears. The LED tail lights help substantially. If I'm making a long trip at night, I hook 3 amber flashing LED bike lights to the lip of the trunk frame.

First off I am glad that you are ok, it could have been much worse. We had a member killed when his truck was rearended, and it was broad daylight. It was also hit by a much larger vehicle.

This is the reason I broke down and decided everything gets LED tail lights and markers. I used to be a light bulb purist, but I do a lot of night MV night driving, and the LEDs are way easier to see.
Zoidsfan77: I'm thankful that you're okay.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is good to hear you were unhurt and could drive home, but I wouldn't be surprised if you found broken torque rods or damaged ends. It seems when cars hit these larger trucks it's actually the suspension and axles that takes the brunt of the impact, which they're not happy about doing.

Zoidsfan77

Sorry for the long delay.

Thank you all for your concerns and good wishes!

My truck seems mechanically undamaged. Only scratched paint and scuffed spare tire.
2016-12-14 18.12.50.jpg2016-12-14 18.12.59.jpg
(Sorry about the crappy night pictures, I don't get home usually until after dark)

Oh, here is the truck in its entirety:
2016-11-19 14.17.51.jpg

As far as additional illumination! Yes, I purchased a surplus tow light assembly, as suggested by 98G. I plan on permanently mounting it to the rear of the truck. I feel like this alone will help substantially!

s-l500.jpg

Also, the crash report was released.
Fortunately, the occupants of the car will be okay.
I am not at fault for the accident.

I am still trying to get some better photos off my buddies phone. I will post them when I have them.

Last edited:

Zoidsfan77

It is good to hear you were unhurt and could drive home, but I wouldn't be surprised if you found broken torque rods or damaged ends. It seems when cars hit these larger trucks it's actually the suspension and axles that takes the brunt of the impact, which they're not happy about doing.
Fortunately, I was hit directly from behind, so no side load on the axles. Additionally, I have an M814, which is the "extra-long" wheelbase. The car never touched the rear suspension.
I appreciate your feedback, I will still do a visual check on the torque rods for any cracks or damage. Thanks!

dmetalmiki

Glad you are ok, and your truck left roadworthy. I always carry tow lights for driving in the dark. Which I very rarely do anyway. If at all possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks