• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ex-mil TD6 W/W recovers stuck....

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok - so there is no "dozers" forum and technically an Ex British Army is therefore a "non US Military Vehicle" here could be a place to post these pics... (I may be wrong in that the TD6 could be ex-US Navy!!!)

A MV collector friend back home with lots of toys often gets called out to assist a Commercial Recovery mate.

Got a call from a contractor down by the coast...
P1010106.jpg
Wrong side of the sea wall, well stuck in the marsh... Calcs done - 8:1 compound tackle off of two other excavators.

P1010115.jpg
FYI. Just incase anyone wants a rigging layout, here is a possible setup. I don't know the exact details other than the two other excavators were needed for anchors since the TD6 doesn't weigh that much:-
TD6 8to1.jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what the total pull power was with this setup. Did you make a video?
No - he just sent me a few pics and a little note. No mention of the figures other than the excavator weighs in at 24 tons.
Then you have to multiply by all the resistance factors - ground type, depth, gradient, mechanical resistance or damage of casualty (eg., transmission locked etc.) All this with only a 6 ton crawler - hence the extra anchors.

Not sure if a vid was made or not. Came out first pop though.... after a lot of shoveling to get to the attatchment points I'm sure!

Last edited:

insas

A TD6 only weighs 5k WITH the blade. It's cool to see one in action! -I was able to snatch up a TD6 Series 62 W/drott 4:1, I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet though. The original TD6's were very common with the US Navy and the TD4's with the US Army.

As a side note, what in the heck where they doing with those excavators??? The only time I've ever seen one used in such a poor manner is on TV! -usually you would build a secure platform to work on... with dirt/gravel/logs/whatever....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to see some of the things that people do with excavators just get on YouTube.

I'm pretty sure Doghead helped recover one buried with his 819.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they were cleaning up the waterway , all the excavator's had long booms and sticks with grading buckets . It seems like they are working a Tidal Marsh , could have used some Bridge Mats .

rustystud

Being the owner of 3 TD6 dozers I know a little about them. Yes the military used them a lot. There was a guy down in Chehalis WA. that had bought two TD9's from the government auction back in the earlier 1970's . They where in pristine shape ! The problem was he wanted $6,000.00 for them. That was a chunk of change then and we could not afford them. I really wish now that I had pulled the plug and bought them anyway. I have pictures of my father in WWII at some landing in the Pacific showing the TD6's in use pulling supplies from the LST's onto the beach. So the Navy used them also.

rustystud

Love old dozers! Would love to get my hands on a smaller one for my little property and shows!
The problem is keeping them running ! My last good one died over 15 years ago. I was clearing my sisters property and got caught on a stump on a hill. Before I could get unstuck the engine got oil starved and seized up ! Before that I would use the dozer for a day and work on it for two weeks ! Don't get me wrong, this little dozer can do an amazing amount of work in a day ! In fact it is stronger then the Case 540 I used to finish clearing my land with. Since it has a clutch and not a hydro transmission you could get right up on a stump and push until the engine almost died then push-in the clutch revv up the engine and push again. With the hydo transmission it would just push until it hit the regulator and then stop moving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks