• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ex navy boat wwI and wwII

Some pretty cool history, I wonder how it ended up abandoned in Cincinnati.

"In 1902, the Pusey and Jones Corporation built the steel-hulled vessel for Mr. J. Rogers Maxwell as the luxury yacht "CELT". Mr. Manton B. Metcalf later purchased the vessel and renamed her as the "SACHEM". The US Navy acquired the "SACHEM" from Mr. Metcalf in July 1917 for service during World War I and renamed her as the "USS SACHEM" ("SP-192"). Captain Jake Martin's steam powered party boat "SACHEM" from Pier 9, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY circa 1934. The Pusey and Jones Corporation built her in 1902 for Mr. J. Rogers Maxwell as the steel-hulled luxury yacht "CELT". Mr. Manton B. Metcalf later purchased her and renamed her as the "SACHEM". The US Navy acquired the "SACHEM" from Mr. Metcalf in July 1917 for service during World War I and renamed her as the "USS SACHEM" (SP-192). During her wartime duties, the Navy assigned her to Thomas A. Edison, who conducted experimental ocean communications work during secret cruises to the Caribbean. She later operated as a harbor patrol craft in the Third Naval District until the US Navy returned her to Mr. Metcalf in February 1919. Mr. Metcalf later sold her to Philadelphia banker Roland L. Taylor. In 1932, Mr. Taylor sold her to Captain Jacob 'Jake' Martin and she would become one of many yachts purchased during the Great Depression and converted to a party fishing boat. She made regular trips to the fishing grounds off Atlantic City, NJ."

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-civil/civsh-c/celt.htm

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO... could one claim salvage rights? I bet I could get her out of there.. in 6 weeks when my ribs heal.

Then I could have a USN WWI MV!!!

I of course, would convert it back to steam.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm surprised a certain SS member from the area has not scrapped it........or at least rolled it, yet.

Cool bit of history though!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey! Now that Gimpy's wrecker isn't there any more we can tow it to Jeff's house. What a great idea. He has a nice shop where we can work.

:)

Bill W

She has a welded steel hull so I doubt she is as old as the folk lore states she is, but a cool find anyway

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JWC- is that you narrating the kayak video? It sounds alot like your voice.
Nope. not me.

Heck did you know it was there.. Just think of it edison, had crap there ,that far from your house... in the woods lol
Jeff, Do you know if you can drive down that road and hike in to see it? That would be cool.
I have not seen it personally, but I have probably been as close as 2000 feet from this relic. We occasionally take the sea-doos (personal watercraft) out on the Ohio River for recreation very close to this location.
I have heard (and confirmed by the kayak video that this is accessible from a stream that empties into the Ohio River.

Sadly, I think it is in worse shape then the kayak video shows. Look at the pictures in this local news article. It appears nearly submerged, although it may just be high flood water. (This article requires you to subscribe to read it, but the pictures appear to be free.)
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111203/NEWS0103/112040309/Storied-Sachem-wasting-away-Petersburg

Here is another local story (I think it is the same article as above, but it does not require subscription): http://host.madison.com/test/webfeeds/travel/storied-sachem-wasting-away-in-petersburg/article_e1cd524e-6392-52f6-9e39-72f306e55154.html

Another news article:
http://www.kypost.com/dpps/entertainment/ship-lends-ghostly-history-to-paddlefest_6467535

Here is the website that is supposed to be associated with a saving effort:
http://www.dandrealarosaartfoundation.org/SachemCampaign.html

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. I have officially "laid eyes" on this relic.

I had some spare daylight several days ago, so I did a quick drive-by recon. It is clearly visible from the road. I snapped a crappy cell-phone pic, but it is much more visible than shown in the photo. See red outline I added for reference.

lost ship.JPG

It is also much closer to the Ohio River than anticipated. It would be very easy to reach by small watercraft via backwater. Once it warms up maybe we can take the sea-doos out and take a closer look.
Here are some newer satellite photos I found. Much easier to see in fall/winter when leaves /foliage are off.

new lost ship 1.jpgnew lost ship 2.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I never in a million years, thought you would post a satellite view of the "Crusher compound". I guess your right, keeping the trucks in the barn gives a "normal" appearance to the yard!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks