• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Excessive blow by ???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drock

So over the past couple days I've bin getting a lot of blow by coming out of the top of the fill cap. It goes away once revved up, you can see it being pulled into the Banks filter housing. I've cleaned both the CDR valve and the air filter. My question is.. Other then bad rings, could this be caused by my bad injection pump? Or perhaps a leaking injector? Both are original 70,000 miles, and the injection pump is leaking like a sieve out of the throttle shaft.. So there's that:shrugs:

Bighorn

Compression test.
Leak down test.
Hard to believe you lost rings in a matter of days.
How's your coolant looking?
Oil?
Blown head gasket?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why 11 question marks?

10 would not be enough?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Banks filter housing ??????

Do you have a turbo?

This is not the modified cucv forum.

Bighorn

I am impressed someone is counting.

How does it sound if you turn it over with the fuel shutoff disconnected?
I am wondering if you burned a hole in a piston.
Maybe worn or broken rings.

Compression check is your best bet.
I'd do it now before any real damage is done to the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(13)

Last edited:

Drock

I am impressed someone is counting.

How does it sound if you turn it over with the fuel shutoff disconnected?
I am wondering if you burned a hole in a piston.
Maybe worn or broken rings.

Compression check is your best bet.
I'd do it now before any real damage is done to the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(13)
:funny:Mom always told me I'd be special!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:I'll have to try turning it over with the fuel shutoff disconnected. It runs perfect otherwise.

Bighorn

The idea being to hear if it sounds uneven while turning over without starting.
Not a replacement for a compression test, but it's easy.
Just 10 seconds or so.

Drock

The idea being to hear if it sounds uneven while turning over without starting.
Not a replacement for a compression test, but it's easy.
Just 10 seconds or so.
Yeah I'm shopping for a fitting for my compression tester. I think I found one on Ebay for $25.00.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Take a video of the blow by. I say it may be normal if it goes away after the RPM's are picked up. But just remember. I put a brush guard extension on front of mine and it was moved to hot rod and modification. Have a Great Day. I still have work to do. 33* out today. Slow starting for me, myself.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suggest the issue/discussion of blow-by and having a turbo would very possibly be related.

The OP never mentioned(or answered) if he has a turbo.

It's not listed in his sigline.

There is simply no other indications of his modifications that would relate to blow-by issues.

What's a banks filter?

When others with turbos and blow-by issues search properly, this thread may be difficult to find.

You guys that cry about moderators asking questions and helping keep the forums in order, just don't get it............(twelve, for dramatic statement)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I'm shopping for a fitting for my compression tester. I think I found one on Ebay for $25.00.
Does your current compression tester go up to 300-400 psi?

Bighorn

After some research i have found discussion regarding sudden increases in blowby caused by bad turbo seals.
What happens is the seals allow compressed intake or exhaust gasses into the return oil line.
The engines run fine and do not smoke and the turbo impellers have no excessive play.
Just the seals leak.
Now you said it does it at idle and goes away at speed.
Could still be exhaust gasses leaking through the turbo seals and getting into the crankcase via the oil return line.
Even at idle.
Perhaps the seals work better under boost and only leak at idle.
Anyhow, something to check.
Obviously this thread belongs in the mod section cucv and the turbo should be mentioned to help others.

If it is indeed the bad turbo seals, a compression test will show nothing irregular.
One way to test the turbo is to remove the oil RETURN line from the oil pan and run it into a bucket temporarily.
Observing the oil and or blowby coming from the tube.
Obviously must use care.

If indeed this happened suddenly;
Do a compression test.
If you find a low cylinder;
Do a leak down test.
Compressed air is added to each cylinder while at top dead center resectively.
Check exhaust, intake, and crankcase for sounds of air leaking.
Observe how long each cylinder holds pressure.
Now be careful here;
Add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinder and retest.
If you have one cylinder leaking past the rings (crank case sound) excessively, the oil will reduce the leak down rate temporarily.
If the leak down past the rings is markedly improved; rings are worn or broken on that cylinder.
You have to get that oil back out of the cylinder before sealing it up.. obviously.

If this happened suddenly, you gotta figure out what happened.

Last edited:

Drock

I'd suggest the issue/discussion of blow-by and having a turbo would very possibly be related.

The OP never mentioned(or answered) if he has a turbo.

It's not listed in his sigline.

There is simply no other indications of his modifications that would relate to blow-by issues.

What's a banks filter?

When others with turbos and blow-by issues search properly, this thread may be difficult to find.

You guys that cry about moderators asking questions and helping keep the forums in order, just don't get it............(twelve, for dramatic statement)
Dude, all us kids were playing nice here and you had to come in and throw a troll tantrum.:shrugs: I contribute daily to this forum helping others fix their trucks reducing their cost & headache to the best of my ability. And yes I try to keep the mood light and add some humor to my posts!!!!!!!!!!! (11) exclamations. Because Lord knows this forum is not known for people being polite. I was simply asking for help fixing my (ONLY VEHICLE & DAILY DRIVER) the modification forum doesn't get nearly as much traffic as this regular one. And because its my (ONLY TRANSPORTATION) when I have an issue I need as many expert opinions as possible, as fast as possible. Yes this truck has a Banks turbo:roll:, however my question was about blow by, thus the rings. Turbo or not the symptoms are the same and for that reason, right or wrong the turbo wasn't on my radar.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to correct forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks