• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust j-pipe installation problem

Happyland1410

I just attempted to install a new j-pipe and ran into a problem. The new pipe is one of the newer ones that has welded sections instead of one continuous pipe. Well, after having issues getting the pipe in place I compared it to the original and they are a little different. The end that goes toward the turbo is angled slightly different and is an inch or more longer. This makes the flex pipe from the turbo too long to fit in between. I collapsed the flex pipe as much as possible but it is still too long. Has anyone else run into this or did I just get one that was built wrong?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic's would help, you are bolting it all together before tightening anything up right?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get that pipe?

I've not seen any that look like it.

It looks like a poorly/cheaply made replica.

Last edited:

Happyland1410

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting.

Sorry, I have no good answer other than to cut and fit as needed.

barefootin

I purchased one last year and had the same issue. I had to cut it and shrink it. At first I managed to get it in with the use of four letter words and way too much time wasted, but I couldn't get the flange on the fender nor the hanger underneath aligned because of how long it was.

Happyland1410

I purchased one last year and had the same issue. I had to cut it and shrink it. At first I managed to get it in with the use of four letter words and way too much time wasted, but I couldn't get the flange on the fender nor the hanger underneath aligned because of how long it was.
Did you cut out a section in the straight portion of the pipe or at the bend near the flange?

barefootin

I took mine out at the bottom of the "J". But that's where mine was different from my original. I put it on the truck, cut it till it fit, tacked it together and then removed it and finished welding it.

dutchguy

I put a new one in my Deuce last winter, it too was a little too long. Lots of cussing, finally got it in, wrecked my arm and pinched the crap out of my finger, and the pipe is right up against the outer edge of the cutout in the fender. I don't suppose it's easy making a pipe when you don't have the original design dimensions. Still seems like it should be closer that what you are seeing though.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pipe is a NewStar item.

must be for the new Korean version of the trucks.

Dan you said you just wanted a new pipe. Not one that fits....

Happyland1410

The pipe is a NewStar item.

must be for the new Korean version of the trucks.

Dan you said you just wanted a new pipe. Not one that fits....

Yes, I should know to be more specific in my requests :grin:

When my daughter was about 3 we were getting ready to go somewhere and we told her to go find her shoes. She leaves and comes back in a minute without her shoes. When questioned about why she did not do as told, we were informed that we told her to find her shoes (which she did) not to actually get them. :doh:

I'm going to take the pipe to a muffler shop tomorrow and see what they can do with it.

FYI: the pipe itself is much heavier than the original and aluminized so if I can get it to fit it should last a long time.

DieselBob

The best thing IMO to the longevity of a exhaust pipe is keeping moisture out. Capping it when not in use and getting it up to operating temp to burn off any condensate that might make a acid when left to mix with exhaust soot in the pipe. 2cents

Attachments

Happyland1410

Well, I finally have the new j-pipe installed. I cut out a 2" section and welded the pipe back together and then it fit. But the fun didn't end there! I got everything repainted, bolted back up and then went to put the stack on. Would you believe that the flanged end was too small for the stack to slide in? So, I had to take everything back apart and cut the flanged end off of the original pipe and weld it on to the new pipe. After spending most of the day fixing this poorly made j-pipe at least it is done and my huge exhaust leak is fixed.

Warning to everyone: Don't buy a deuce j-pipe from NewStar unless you need to practice your welding.

Truck Replacement Military Parts and Components on S & S Truck & Tractor Parts Co.

Attachments

barefootin

Crap... I forgot I had to modify that on mine also since it's been so long. I just trimmed mine down until it just fit inside the lip. However, I did purchase mine from another source...

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job Happyland. Sorry about that. I did ask if you wanted a good used one.:razz:

See you tomorrow at the parade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks