• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

expensive lights

crazywelder72

I just don't understand how people can afford to pay $300 per light for the new 7" round LED headlights. I am sure they are awesome but I don't have $600 kicking around of disposable income for headlights.

If anyone wants to donate a set to me, I wouldn't object.

DeucesWild11

I hear ya Crazy Welder, Always sounded a bit high to me too. I was thinking of converting to some new headlights with 24V H4 bulbs in them. I thought that may get me some extra brightness and would be easier to exchange just the bulb when they burn out instead of the whole headlamp.

Actually the off road lights I put on the front used to be just standard 12v so I just bought the same H4 bulb but in 24v instead of 12v so it was easier to wire up. Here's a pic

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you can buy individual LEDs very cheap from China. A buddy of mine bought 100 of them for (I think) $5. Of course you have to build a headlight to mount them in and wire them all up.

jwaller

I have a set, don't waste your $$$. I daily drive my hmmwv and one of them has gone bad after about 9 months of use. Of course trucklight could care less. They simply say they are not repairable and I need to buy another one.

The light they produce is very clear but it's no brighter at all. The beam is not focused like a HID either.

Welder Sam

I have a set, don't waste your $$$. I daily drive my hmmwv and one of them has gone bad after about 9 months of use. Of course trucklight could care less. They simply say they are not repairable and I need to buy another one.

The light they produce is very clear but it's no brighter at all. The beam is not focused like a HID either.
i strongly disagree. i wouldnt have anything else. no comparrison

ARYankee

I agree that they are way too pricey.... They are nice but that is about it. The standard ones work fine for me so until the LEDs come way down, they won't be on my trucks. I hardly drive them at night so who cares. If I wanted it to be daylight out, I can wait for the sun to come up or just go out and buy a ton of el cheapo Walmart lights to put on them for the prices that the LEDs go for.

Welder Sam

$300 a light is rediculous, however, the average "hobbiest" is not the target audience for these products. you can get them cheaper... alot cheaper...

i often times end up a long way from home after dark so the old sealed beams are one of the first things to hit the trash can but then again, most of my trucks are all leds..

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just don't understand how people can afford to pay $300 per light for the new 7" round LED headlights.

I paid $214 each for them on sale at Napa.

How old are you? When I had kids I couldn't have nothing but work to pay for diapers and shoes and all. Now I am in my 50s and they are all self supporting and I can have nice expensive LED headlights.

Afford is all a matter of perspective.

I can afford them because I save up. Maybe you just have to wait a few years.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's what's important to folks. Some like better headlights, some like better seats and some like bigger tires. No worries. I do a pretty serious cost/ benefit analysis before spending cabbage like that, unless it's just a want.

Welder Sam

I paid $214 each for them on sale at Napa.

How old are you? When I had kids I couldn't have nothing but work to pay for diapers and shoes and all. Now I am in my 50s and they are all self supporting and I can have nice expensive LED headlights.

Afford is all a matter of perspective.

I can afford them because I save up. Maybe you just have to wait a few years.
i have 4 kids. im 36 years old. i work hard for my money. i spend it as i see fit. i also shop around. i think the most i have given for them is $200 each. that was my first pair. i havent paid that much since. i dont like the oem lights and it costs to upgrade. when i walk outside, i like to see things set up the way I want it. i dont like the faded junky looking paint thats on the trucks when they are purchased, i paint them. i upgrade, ITS WHAT I DO.

p.s. ill be dead by 50...

rrrr

I agree with the cost/benefit question. They are much brighter and look cool. To switch over to all LED is not cheap about $1000. I've done other expensive upgrades like wheels and tires, passenger spring seat, gun ring, etc. Its all about priorities. I am considering trying the napa ones and see how they are.

jwaller

IMO They are worth about 150ea. When I find them that cheap I buy them. Not worth more IMO but others may not think that way. It's human nature.

Marcel

Here are some facts that you may want to consider before laying out some serious cash for LED lights

LEDs have a general life expectancy of 50 000 hrs. If you use your lights for 10 hours a day, this should be 13.7 yrs. If this is correct, then LED's are definitely an investment, even the top of the range bulb would work out to cost 2.55GBP per year. Add that to the saving you would make on energy and you've got a very cost effective bulb!
However, there are times when, even high quality, LED products can last as little as a year. The problem with these can be attributed to a large number of things, here are a few main causes:

Heatsink - Designing a heatsink is a fine science. Some heatsinks do not have the correct amount of surface area, some do not take into consideration about the gaps between fins to enable air flow. Some have horizontal fins, when they are positioned vertically. The main design fault with the latter, being that heat rises. Rather than dispersing the heat away from the bulb, the heat coming from the lower fins heat the upper fins even more.

Capacitors - Most, standard, electronic capacitors are made from a plastic. These have an average life time of around 1 year, if used regularly. Capacitors are part of the circuit in every LED driver. Now a number of companies are making their capacitors from ceramics, giving them a much longer life expectancy.

Environment - LEDs are usually designed to work in our country, and in our climate. If they are used in a hot country, or enclosed area, the heat around them can easily surpass the heat they were designed to withstand, shortening their life time.

To get LEDs to their full potential, these factors, among other considerations, must be taken into account.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

As far as the cost factor goes, I can buy 6 sets of incandescent headlamps for the cost of one set of LEDs. I'm in my 50's and I haven't replaced 6 sets of headlamps in my lifetime. I guess the cool factor would justify the price, but not the cost factor. My kids are grown and gone, and I'm still poor. :???: I think I'll use incandescents and put the cost savings to fixing the little puddles on the floor of my shop. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks