• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Export MEP-80x to Canada - Has anyone done this?

JeremyWigmore

All,

I'm a new member to the forum, but I've been reading it for quite some time. I'm very appreciative of the collective knowledge available to fill in the information gaps. Speaking of information gaps...

I'm interested in purchasing a surplus MEP-803a off one of the usual sites, but I haven't been able to lock down much information about exporting is genset from the US and importing it to Canada. I've reached out to a few trucking companies and brokers who think it can be done, and I've contacted the Canadian Border Services Agency for clarification, but haven't heard back from them yet. Also, searching the forum has provided lots of talk about the import/export of vehicles, but I've not read anything in particular on generators.

Question: Has anyone been able to import one of these generators? I saw an MEP-802a for sale (locally) a few weeks ago, so at least one of them has made it into the country, but I don't know if there was any special requirements.

As far as I can tell, on the US side, the DEMIL classification A means there's no further restriction on resale of the item, so I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it is not subject to export restrictions?

On the Canadian side, the only hurdle I see is environmental/emissions related, but the Canadian equivalent of the EPA has made an exception for diesel engines in military equipment.

As always, any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Jeremy

k9medic

I just exported an 803a to the Bahamas. They are not an ITAR restricted item but US Customs had to clear it for export. The shipper submitted the paperwork and it was cleared the next day.

dav5

Done and done. Thanks for the suggestion!
Jeremy I received your private message but the site doesn't seem to want to let me answer it so here goes. I have brought 4 MEP's across the border and I have had not one concern from the border agents. They are classified as exportable by the U.S authorities.
Prior to bringing in the first one my major concern was whether it would pass Canadian emissions standards. I found some info on the Canadian import site that seemed to indicate that military engines are exempt. It seems like you found the same info. I think you would be fine importing it but you never know what frame of mind the agent is in when you try to cross. I would guess the agents in Nova Scotia[ probably New Brunswick is where you would cross] are easier to deal with than the uptight ones in Southern Ontario where I cross. Well good luck EH Ted

Last edited:

dav5

One other thing. I tarped the generators so the military camo paint scheme didn't show just in case the appearance set off alarm bells at the border.

JeremyWigmore

Thanks, eh! Glad to hear that it was pretty painless. I saw 14 of the MEP-803a be auctioned off yesterday from the site closest to me going for seemingly good prices. I was very close to pushing the bid button, but didn't want to end up with a generator I couldn't import because I didn't know enough.

The auctions in PA are typically the closest to me, but it's still 1900 km each way. Did you pick them all up yourself or did you have any of them shipped?

dav5

I bought my first two on different occasions on Ebay and had them delivered to Niagara Falls N.Y. and then brought them across the border on separate trips myself. I bought another from Fort Drum and brought it over at Gananoque and the fourth from near Cincinnati and came across the Lewiston Bridge. When I was buying Govliquidation was in charge and their descriptions bore very little resemblance to reality. It was a real crap shoot. Now that Ritchie Brothers are in charge it looks like the descriptions are pretty accurate. This has caused prices to increase however.

NEIOWA

The auctions in PA are typically the closest to me, but it's still 1900 km each way. Did you pick them all up yourself or did you have any of them shipped?
Don't forget that when you hit the US border you have to travel in miles. We don't allow any of that eurowussie stuff here in the US.

JeremyWigmore

Don't forget that when you hit the US border you have to travel in miles. We don't allow any of that eurowussie stuff here in the US.
Ah yes. A good friend of mine (US Army) and I routinely had the talk about the metric system while in Iraq. “There are two types of countries: those who use the metric system, and those who have been to the moon”. “Then why do you use metric in your military?” “I said the moon...and don’t troll me about NATO, Canada.” Good times!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks