• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was reading Gunfreak25's house paint thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/65478-note-latex-house-paints.html
And thought it would be good to gather paint code information into a single thread.

Could those of you that used latex/acrylic exterior house paint to paint your MVs post your paint information?
Something along the lines of the color you were going for, the base used and the color match formula.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The codes/formulas I have collected below are by no means the definitive answer on a particular color, so have a small quantity mixed at the store, do some good paint prep and paint a test patch, to see if it is the color you have been dreaming of.

I have used Kilz tinted with as much blue as they would put in as a primer coat for the Green I layed down. The truck was white to start so any darker primer was going to help.

I would like to find the formula for Vietnam Era semi gloss OD 24087.

I am thinking of using the Eric/CBVET formula for Olive Drab - 987A - Federal Std# 34087. But instead of using a flat base go for a semi gloss.

Here is Mike/wsucougarsx formula for 383 CARC

Home Depot - Base = Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat, Matte Deep Base #4300

Colorant............. OZ... 384th
AX-Perm Yellow... 2....... 68
D-Thalo Green..... 1...... 16
KX-White............. 0...... 112
L-Raw Umber...... 8....... 80

UPDATE 10/7/2011 Added Mike's Black and Brown codes from his other thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/73018-1968-jk-m35a2-restoration-project-7.html

Black
Home Depot - Base = 4300
Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat/Flat Matte #4300

B..... 11....... 96
C .... 0......... 16
I .... 0........148
KX... 0....... 116

Brown
Home Depot - Base = 4300
Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat/Flat,Matte

B..... 7....... 16
C..... 1...... 308
F.......1.......200
KX... 1...... 240

Here is Dan Martin & Alex Gordon (Idaho Motor Pool) formula for Desert Tan

Home Depot - Base = BEHR Ultra Flat Base Pastel Base (4855/2-4855)

Colorant............ OZ... 48... 96
C-Yellow Oxide... 5..... 17.... 0
E-Thalo Blue....... 0..... 43 ... 1
F-Red Oxide....... 0 ......16.... 0

Here is Wayne/pinz25086 formula for Desert Tan

Lowes - Base = Valspar Exterior Flat Finish - Flat Base 4

101 - 7.5
104 - 5.5
107 - 29.5
113 - 2Y7

Here is Eric/CBVET formula for Olive Drab - 987A - Federal Std# 34087

Home Depot - Base = BEHR Premium Plus EXT Flat(PPESF) Deep Base (4300)

Colorant........... OZ... 48... 96
B-Lamp Black..... 3...... 9.... 0
C-Yellow Oxide... 6.... 30... 1
KX-White............ 1.... 16....1
V -Magenta......... 0.... 40... 0

Here is my stab at 3 Color Camo colors

Green color matched from canvas cover.

Colorant.............. OZ... 384th
AX-Perm Yellow.... 2 .....264
D-Thalo Green...... 1..... 136
KX-White...............0..... 116
L-Raw Umber....... 7...... 252

Yorkshire Brown (220F-7)

Colorant............. OZ.... 384th
AX-Perm Yellow... 0...... 240
B-Lamp Black...... 1...... 352
I-Brown Oxide.... 5....... 304
KX-White............ 3 ...... 208

Beluga (Black) (770F-7)

Colorant ..... .. OZ.... 384th
B-Lamp Black.. 12...... 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are pix of the blue primer, the tarp green and Eric/CBVETs 987A

Attachments

Last edited:

waayfast

LOL!!! I am buiding a storage shed to store MV parts in so I will eventually be able to actually get in my shop and actually work on something instead of tripping over parts.
I had planned to use some Gillispie OD paint( would be unusual and kinda goes with the hobby it's intended for) but now that I have these exact Behr latex formulas I'll paint the shed with the house paint and the truck with Gillispie.
However my Chevy G506 project will probly keep the wood sided civy bed that came with it untill I can find a stock bed(yeah, and some winning lotto tickets---).So some Behr will probly go on that since it's all wood.

Dang, what a cool site, always good info here. Thanks Quarks for posting.
Jim

waayfast

Oh, and a question for all the folks who have been using the Latex---has anyone tried it on the Cab/cargo covers, vinyl or canvas? I am aware that some Ultra-Lite Aircraft plans call for using Latex house paint instead of the conventional dope on the fabric-Ceconite, Stites( Dacron actually) with what sounds like very good results.
Jim

treeguy

So Behr is listed, how about Benjamin Moore? I think Benny is superior to the Home Depot or Lowes brands Yes/No?
Did Benny also stop with the oil base for exterior? They used to have a great flow when brushing.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
treeguy,
I did the Behr codes because that is what people posted up. I am not biased either way, Home Depot/Lowes, Behr/Benjamin Moore, Ford/Chevy. The Behr I used didn't work for a darn and kept spotting every time it got wet, but that was because it hadn't fully cured yet. After it had a chance to fully dry it, It became bullet proof.

I also haven't brushed it on. I did use a wagner power painter and got good results. Also used a Harbor Freight gun, on which I turned up the air and thinned down the paint which seemed to make it cure even quicker. So I could start on one side of a big area and by the time I made it to the end, the begining was dry and I could just keep on painting..

Anybody else have any luck with house paint codes and color matches?:mrgreen:

treeguy

When you use a water based paint on metal, what primer do you use? Rustolium, or the water based house primer? I primed my trailer hitch with rustolium and top coated with aerovoe (or however you spell it) and when I bumped a corner in my garage while measuring it, a flake came off. The metal was cleaned prior to application. Just wondering, but I get the feeling that the rustolium did not adhere very well to the metal. Any thoughts? I brushed it all on.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The house paints are acrylics now more than latex.
I used Kilz primer on top of old paint (not bare metal) then the acrylic latex.

If you read the other thread linked at the top they mention paint and primer in 1.
If you want your paint to be bomb proof you have to pay money to do it.
Otherwise they would already be using the cheap process.
Also look into the Marine Clean and Metal Ready, Ospho as bare metal prep.

When I did my school bus I used a red fish oil primer, only came by the gallon, but was meant for painting industrial valves and transformer boxes that live in the out doors.

Also on allof this you can't rush the process, putting things on too thick will not allow them to cure properly and thus not make the paint to metal bond you want.

Another option is to put many clear coats on top, so they chip and not the paint.

Not all the answers but just some suggestions. But my feeling is if you go to the corner of a metal sided house and rub up against it, two things will happen. First the paint that is adhered properly will not come off and second if you neighbors see you they will surely call the cops.

Don't ask me how I know.:mrgreen:

DAP

I want to subscribe to this post in case some one else posts a formula for paint from BM or even the line carrieed at Tractor Supply.

DAP

I want to subscribe to this incase anyone posts colors mixes for BM or the line carried at Tractor Supply

bevanet

When I built some apartments, my painter used a metal paint from Dunn Edwards on the metal doors. It didn't have any water in it and made a great finish on the doors. He said he had painted a car with it and it looked good. I'll have to check Dunn and see if they still have something for metal doors.

Gunfreak25

I have been VERY happy with my Behr paint job. It was Behr Premium Plus Ultra to be exact. Again, these are not actually "latex" based paints. They are acrylics, just like the paint used on your Ford or Toyoda, minus the clear coat of course. I was a bit critical of my paint job in the beginning of that thread because the paint had not fully cured and it was raining cats and dogs that day. Hence the reason for a few areas (minor, mind you) bubbling up. That was quite a long time ago that I painted the truck and I have been pleased as punch with the Behr. I would not hesitate to use it again on any other future Military Vehicle. It has been more durable than both Krylon and Rustoleum. Not nocking either one, but it's surprising to say the least. I have worked on the truck, inside and out and the Behr has held up extremely well. Beat the heck out of the bumper by standing on it, working on it, welding on it and the Behr has done very well. Those areas that scratched, takes 10 seconds with a brush to fix.

I think these modern day acrylics have a lot more advantages over the enamels. First being a lot of acrylics are "self chalking" in that they take a long time to fade and weather. I hear a lot of people complaining here in the SW region that the Aervoe and Gillespie Olive Drabs fade disgustingly fast, take a look at any old deuce around here and you'll see they turn a very light lime green over several years. It can be buffed out of course. Another advtange is ease of application, the Behr went on extremely smooth with a brush. No brush marks to speak of. And it's readily available as most of us have a home depot within a few miles of home. Mine is only 2 miles! HEHEHE! No Hazmat fees to worry about either.

The most important rules to follow however, are surface prep and cure time. The cleaner the surface, the better you sand it and prime the nicer the end result. But that is true with any paint job. The Rustoleum red oxide primer makes a great base coat for the stuff too. The Behr does seal the metal and protect against rust, I applied it over my gas tank which was stripped and cleaned bare metal. But adhesion was another story, it does not like bare metal. So prime bare metal! You will also want to prime all nuts and bolts which are more susceptible to collecting rust than other body parts. Fresh rust formation will eventually bleed through the Behr on the edges of washers, nuts and bolts where paint often gets worn off by sockets. So prime! The Rustoleum primer is cheap too.

Those are my final notes on the house paints. They aren't just for houses anymore.

rlwm211

Besides using this type of paint via brush for a 3 color NATO pattern, I have sprayed the water based acrylic enamel house paint on a trailer with good success. I used an HVLP gun. Use warm water to thin at about 10%. Having warm paint is also a must. The surface to be painted should NOT be cold. Cold in this discussion is below 50 degrees.

As was mentioned this paint takes longer to cure. After a week or two the paint was dry and has held up well.

Surface prep included using Rusty metal primer from Rustoleum.

After working with solvent based paints for many years, I know I am healthier and better off using this type of paint.

Just my two cents

RL

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you read the directions (as it was pointed out to me), the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer needs at least 72 hours to cure before getting the overcoat - longer if you spray it on thick. It's probably true of most of the oil based primers. Proper preparation means less re-work.

Gunfreak25

I let the rusty metal primer dry for a total of 3 days before I apply a topcoat. The reason why Rustoleum's primer takes so long to dry is because it contains fish oil. If it dried in under an hour like some paints do, it would never do it's intended job of preventing rust. It dries so slowly because the fish oil needs time to soak into the pores of the rust to put a stop to the corrosion process.

Oh, and Mike. You totally look like Gene Hackman in your avatar. rofl

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rlwm211,
Do you have any paint codes to share?

That was what I wanted this thread to turn into, a list of the various paint codes, so those that wanted to try, would have the correct colors to apply to their MVs.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks