• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F16 Fighter to Drone as converted by Boeing

saddamsnightmare

December 23rd, 2013.

Gentlemen:

This should go along with the WWII U.S.Navy Drone in the Conversations section. Apparently our older F-16's are destined to a newer, shorter life as drones. Does the conventional F16 use a cooling system in the cockpit like the drone does?

http://bcove.me/jwwtliu0

Enjoy, the ultimate RC Jet....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's!;)

steelypip

Apparently our older F-16's are destined to a newer, shorter life as drones. Does the conventional F16 use a cooling system in the cockpit like the drone does?
Yes, it's the standard cooling system. It's blowing condensation because it's in Florida and they have rather a lot of humidity there on warm mornings.

Nothing in this is new except that it's a QF-16 instead of a QF-4, a QF-106, a QF-102, or some other timed out airframe.

TehTDK

Why is the cooling fans blowing when there is no pilot?. Unless of course all the avionics would overheat and shut off :p

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
December 23rd, 2013.

Gentlemen:

This should go along with the WWII U.S.Navy Drone in the Conversations section. Apparently our older F-16's are destined to a newer, shorter life as drones. Does the conventional F16 use a cooling system in the cockpit like the drone does?

http://bcove.me/jwwtliu0

Enjoy, the ultimate RC Jet....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's!;)
Thanks for posting this up!

IMHO - As for the "ultimage RC jet", I would offer the D-21 Drone that was a single engine version of the SR-71 and was launched from a piggy-back ride on the SR-71 family of aircraft (Google: D-21 Drone for more info) and actually has more impressive performance stats than her mother ship did.
https://www.google.com/search?newwi...10.0....0...1c.1.32.hp..0.10.1061.elfjIbgntaw

steelypip

I think you're actually under selling the D-21 a little - it was actually autonomous once launched, so was among the first guided cruise missiles with some degree of environmental awareness.

As for runnining the AC full blast on the QF-16, you can safely assume that they used as much cheap off-the-shelf parts for the drone conversion as possible. Keeping it all cool is probably a big part of keeping it working.

saddamsnightmare

December 25th, 2013.

As to the D-21, not bad for a flying engine, it's somewhat less of a plane then the Navy TD-1 of World War two, which for test flights was fitted with a cockpit for a pilot. The Navy Drone was "America's Kamikaze", because the plane itself flew into the target with its bomb. reconnaissance was never its forte, and the QF-16, just a big clay pigeon (admittedly one of the more expensive clay pigeons, so to speak)!

Merry Christmas!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks