• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fbcb2 - an/uyk-128 - hmmwv computer

Wile E. Coyote

So, managed to get all the bits after x-years of looking. No hard drive (so no OPSEC-worrying functionality for those inclined to worry), but booted up to BIOS splash screen...then, unfortunately...I clicked some option largely by accident and now it won't boot to the splash screen again.

So I want to regain the startup splash screen, so I have to reset it to defaults. Tried all the tricks (remove memory, remove back up batteries, remove CMOS backup battery, disassemble/ reassemble any boards that may have a hold-up function) but...no good. I seem to remember you have to hold down a couple of keys or something while it's booting but can't find where that was written.

Anyway, if anybody knows the reset-to-default procedure let me know...in PM if you don't want it on the web. The only manual I have is c.2003 and is concerned more with the Fuzzy Bunny software functionality vs. CMOS setup etc., and all the LOGSA listings that might be helpful are D or DNF which you need a current CAC for.

Wile E. Coyote

Thanks. Tried the common Phoenix BIOS ones (DEL, INS, F1 and F2) but...no dice. I guess there could be some hardware fault. It throws "dc 07" and "FP 4C" for fault codes - both of which relate to BIOS/ POST fail - so I *think* what happened is that when I made my inadvertent settings change it tried to write to NVM and wound up with corrupted data. When you boot now you get a quick flash of text, then a blank, backlit screen, then the CPU light on the DU will go from green to flashing red after about 15 seconds. This is the JV5 vers if that makes any difference.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My biggest fear with dropping big coin on a fbcb2 and having it be a boat anchor. Let us know if you make any progress. Maybe reseat any plug-in components?

Wile E. Coyote

Did all the reseating. Checked and reseated all the boards etc. - no socketed ICs so not that. Checked backup battery etc. - but if it were a board seating issue you wouldn't even get that first flash of text and the green CPU indication...you'd figure...which means it's all good until it tries to do something useful. I do know the reserve power NiCd battery is toast, but it booted to BIOS before even with that issue. I thought of a socketed memory issue but...doesn't appear to be that either. Eh...it's fun to play with. I bought it not expecting anything more than a static prop anyway - anything more was a bonus. Of course now I have it I want it to work - at least to the level of displaying a simulated FBCB2 screen.

Just keeping an eye on the vendors who've sold the last bunches of them on the e-place over the last year or so and they all claim nobody's had a bad one yet, so maybe pretty good odds in terms of gambling on a system...though there's exactly zip documentation out there save for some install guides and a c.2003 operator's manual...and I don't imagine DRS Technologies would be too helpful, though really, without the FBCB2 software - what have you got? An industrial PC. That's what you've got. They sure look cool in those HMMWV racks that Austin sells, though - even if they *don't* do anything.

So...anyone got a spare PU they want to part with??? :)

Wile E. Coyote

On the subject of USB - if you know what the SIAD attachment is (lots regularly via Ebay's "Austin Aviation"/ beltfed34) - there's another in the same form-factor which has USB slots instead of the proprietary serial connections. I've only ever seen two of them and I grabbed mine the minute one became available.

If you disassemble one of the keyboards it terminates at the keyboard-end in USB, from what I remember. The USB version of the SIAD has two USB ports from what I recall (it's in storage at the moment) which tallies with what I read in an obscure manual (patent-related, I think) which details what lines do what from and through the VDT to the CPU etc. and the protocols used - and the pinout of the one CPU connector on the JV5 version of the CPU which I remember showed the two USB port pinouts.

The plan was to get mine booting from USB (in the absence of hard-drive and caddy) and just plunge ahead from there -- but of course if BIOS is n/s that's not about to happen. I can probably work out the pinout of the drive caddy and plumb an SSD in there if I really want to - but realistically it can just boot/ run OS etc. from USB (considering performance isn't likely to be improved/ degraded on a Pentium I level machine anyway.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks