• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fender trimming!

85-m1028

here is my fender triimming outline, the stock supension works great for 35"s I would get new shocks "maybe upgrade to some rancho shocks" basicaly just put the tires on calculate the distance of uptravel till the suspension bottoms on the bumpstops " new bumpstops are recomended" and that will be the amount you'll need to trim, after you put the tires on turn the wheel one way until it hits the fender, take a black felt tip marker and "following the contour of the tire" trace the radius onto the fender, taking into account the uptravel left in the suspension, take an angle grinder with a metal cut off blade "or saws all with metal blade" and chop it off. I left 3/4" to fold up and create a new contuor by taking vise grips "non marking type" and bending the sheet metal back at 90 degrees. when you turn the wheels to the right you will be marking and cutting the front drivers side and the rear passenger, and turn the other way its vise versa. after you cut and bend the fenders you need to remove the plastic mud gaurds from underneath directly behind the wheel wells and "massage" the inner fender well back untill you get about an 1" of clearence with the wheels turned all the way to lock. I did this by removing the tire and using a mini sledge hammer with a 2x4, so I had to take the tire off and put it back on a few times. just put a lug nut or two on and make sure its flush with the hub. I now run 35" tires with no rubbing even at full stuff!!

dilvoy

That's a cleaner job than the military did on my M887 when they took it to Saudi Arabia. They used a Sawzall on the front part of the wheel wells and a sledge hammer for the rear part of the wheel wheels. The aluminum utility body was left untouched.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks