• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fermont 10KW Genset

Desert Rat

Hello everyone;
My wife and I have come across a Fermont 10KW Genset dirt cheap. It's got (I believe) a Chrysler four cylinder gas (I know it's gas at least) engine. Any advice, warnings, precautions, suggestions or other general (or specific) need-to-know information y'all might be aware of to enlighten me in properly operating this interesting piece of equipment?

Our intention is to use it to keep our refrigerator, chest freezer and hot water heater running when the power intermittently goes out beginning in the late winter through the tornado season around here.

I'm planning to replace all filters and fuel lines and if possible get a carb. rebuild kit before even cranking the starter over (hello Saturn Surplus our wonderful sponsor!).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rat, Saturn has everything for the MEP-018. They are cool sets albeit noisy and fuel hungry. I have 2 of them now, had one yesterday! Neither run but I'm working on them feverishly (since I'll have no power for 3 weeks). Get yerself the manuals and read up. I plan on converting one of mine to propane after hurricane season. As I learn more on mine, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm pretty sure manuals are still on Logsa site. Manual says it sucks 2.25 gallons per hour. Oh yeah, check to make sure its a MEP-018A not a MEP-023A. The -023 is 400 Hz not 60 Hz.

Desert Rat

R 4X4;
Please let me know how the propane conversion goes. Plus at 2.25 gallons per hour, is that at full capacity or at idle speed?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2.25 is at load however it doesn't say what percentage of load. I know a guy that has the propane conversion and says it works just fine. You can power more than a few items with this set. It has a .8 service factor so at reasonable altitude it actually puts out 12400 watts. I like these gensets if I could just get the current ones running. On paper it will run my central A/C unit so i'm psyched on getting it hooked up. Just curious, what are they asking for the -18A? PM me if you don't want it broadcast. I just paid $250 for my second one which is supposed to run but doesn't generate electricity. I haven't even got it fired yet. Maybe in the AM.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks