• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ferret Engine

panzerwillie

Well finally got to put the engine out so now still got to remove some more lines and cables then mayor cleaning to start planning the repower and transmission set up here are some pictures
20130303_133730.jpg20130303_144522.jpg20130303_144417.jpg20130303_144425.jpg20130303_144430.jpg20130303_144439.jpg20130303_144503.jpg20130303_144513.jpg20130303_145323.jpg

panzerwillie

Not sure if the 4BT will fit , maybe to told and also is not enough RPM for the gearing , could always change oil pan and use the PT pump style with GSK kit however i think i will put center mount turbo 6.5 liter chevy....

panzerwillie

Will never fit , its a very small area, plus the transmission i want to use is a TB400 and we have limited space to work with , also i have to come up with propel system as i am not using the 5 spd box there is no drive system in place , so with the turbo 400 on a ASE bell housing will need to make a spacer to make both systems work , sure i can use a Allison 545 but ones again very little space to work with .... a Deutz would be nice because no need for cooling system then i can move engine more back and use a A545 but does engines are more money than the FERRET it self....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Center mount 6.5 would be a decent compromise in that skinny V shaped compartment. My only concern (engineering consideration) is where the exhaust is dumped from. Another cool project.

WARWAG

I like the idea of the 6.5 turbo and a TH400 trans. Both would eliminate a huge weak point of the Ferret here in the US. I do not like the current select 5 speed. The B60 engine is also very expensive to repair as all parts need to be sourced from England from what I understand. That and the very expensive parts. How would you adapt the trans to the transfercase?

panzerwillie

Working those details out ,I want to keep it 4x4 so trying to adapt a HMWWV rear with the propel shaft splitters one on each side, probably by the end of summer maybe will have pictures....

WARWAG

I found some images with a google search. At first the transmission and transfercase both looked to be one unit. Then after a bit more searching and reading I found an article that said they each use separate types of oil. So it looks like two separate units but not sure if there separate as in bolt together or share a common housing?

panzerwillie

If you mean the transfer drives that is build in to the pre select 5spd box , i think so, there is one on each side however you have to use to off the right side will have pictures of all that when i build it, being busy doing the brakes on the MARK II almost finish with that...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks