• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished adding cruise control to my 1009

TexAndy

So I finished installing the Rostra kit on my cucv a couple of weeks ago. So far so good.

Rostra 250-1223, in case anyone was wondering.

The instructions were fairly straightforward, but there were a couple of issues that seemed kind of specific to the 1009.

First, you have to attach the cruise cable directly to the same post on throttle pulley that the throttle cable is attached to. The cruise cable plastic connector takes the place of the "hat clip" that holds the throttle cable onto the post.

There is another post on the throttle pulley, below the post that the throttle cable attaches to. It is unused. I suspect that post is where a factory cruise cable attaches, but I don't think you can easily use it for this application. If you mount the cruise cable parallel to the throttle cable (perpendicular to the ground), and try to attach it to that unused post, it will not turn the throttle pulley. From that point on the pulley, it needs to be pulled forward (toward the front of the car) before it can be pulled upwards.

Which brings us to the second issue. Where to mount the cable. I used the metal bracket they included and bent it so that I could bolt one leg to the driver's side alternator mount and have the other leg hover over the throttle pulley.

I also used a few of the beads included in the kit to add a little slack to the system, as recommended in the manual. The throttle travel measured right on the edge of where they recommended adding the beads.

Other than that, everything was as suggested in the manual. I used the manual-recommend settings for the dip switches on the PLC.

For VSS pulse generation, I used the kit that plugs right into the speedometer cable and transmission. 250-4153. If I had to do it over, I think I would have just gone with 250-4160, which is the exact same thing, but without the extension. I don't think it needs it and with the extension, the cable wants to lay just about against one of the exhaust pipes. So I need to take a length of copper tube or something and crimp it around the cable to shield it.

For the brake wire inputs on the cruise control plc (red and violet, if memory serves?), the correct wires to connect to on the vehicle are the orange and the white wires for the brake light switch under the dash. The cucv wiring diagram illustrates this, as well.

The only thing I didn't hook up was the back light for the switch buttons. You're supposed to connect them to the light switch rheostat. I wasn't really sold on the glowing buttons idea.

I'll post a couple of pictures later.

Well dang, added this to the wrong forum. Meant to put this in the cucv hot rodding section.

Last edited:

ke5eua

Any pics, thinking about doing this. Can the cruise be activated to offer a high idle function like on the newer dodge rams. I know there is a high idle solenoid but if I wanted to increase the idle I'd rather not mess with the set screw on the factory solenoid.

TexAndy

Sorry, I completely forgot about adding pics. I'll add some tomorrow.

I don't think the cruise control can be (easily) used to increase the idle speed. The rostra is a fully electronically controlled cruise control. Electric servo motor controlled by a simple logic box. It really only has two inputs for the controller: the VSS and the brake lights. VSS in this case is provided by a cable plugged directly in line with the speedo cable.

ke5eua

Sorry, I completely forgot about adding pics. I'll add some tomorrow.

I don't think the cruise control can be (easily) used to increase the idle speed. The rostra is a fully electronically controlled cruise control. Electric servo motor controlled by a simple logic box. It really only has two inputs for the controller: the VSS and the brake lights. VSS in this case is provided by a cable plugged directly in line with the speedo cable.
Thanks. I'm going to contact them to see if it can be used in such a way.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics, thinking about doing this. Can the cruise be activated to offer a high idle function like on the newer dodge rams. I know there is a high idle solenoid but if I wanted to increase the idle I'd rather not mess with the set screw on the factory solenoid.
Why not just add a Morse control. Cheap and easy.

ke5eua

Why not just add a Morse control. Cheap and easy.
I thought about the manual cable idea. Had that on my contact truck in the army and I liked it but I'm looking at something I can interface with my onboard computer that would engage variable high idle depending on the specific need of alternator output.

TexAndy

This is how I mounted the cruise cable. I used existing holes in the driver's side alternator bracket so the cable is being suspended more or less over the throttle pulley.
1009CruiseCAblemount.jpg

Here's a closeup of the throttle pulley. Notice the two posts? You'll be tempted to use the bottom post that doesn't have anything on it. Don't. It won't work. Use the one that has the throttle cable already on it. It's the one with the hat clip on the end.

1009ThrottlePulley.jpg

Where I mounted the control box. Used existing holes to mount the bracket.1009CruiseControlbox.jpg

The kit comes with several options for mounting the cruise cable to the throttle pulley. I originally tried using this plastic end piece, thinking it snapped onto the end of the throttle pulley post, in place of the hat clip. It only lasted a couple of hundred miles in this configuration before coming off the post.
1009cruiseCableWRONG.jpg

Instead, do it this way, with the loop end. Put the loop on the throttle post, then put the hat clip back on the post.
1009cruisecableRIGHT.jpg

Everything else you need to do this is very straightforward and covered in the book, including the dip switch settings on the control box, how to wire it up, and how to get a VSS signal.

cool modification, very practical for long drives. I just re-geared and now am thinking a gear vendor overdrive and a cruise control would be exceptional. But I do just love the truck the way it is, so who knows.

reloader64

Andy, Thanks for the write-up. I'm updating my civilian M1008 with a turbo 6.5 and NV4500, and a cruise control is on the list. I will look into one of these kits. Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks