• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Time Owner Chevy K5 Blazer M1009

Lachance139

Hi there. I'm new to this site as well as the world of old trucks and military vehicles. I've found a pretty good looking 84 Chevy K5 Blazer M1009 for sale. It's got 91k miles on it, drove pretty smoothly on the test drive, only took about 5 seconds for the plugs to warm before it started right up, first time in a few days. Thing is, I know next to nothing about cars, let alone a 34 year old diesel truck. Just really worried that I'll buy it and then not be able to fix it. I really want to learn how to work on the vehicle, and this one could be a great way to start, I'm just worried about the cash too. Am I going to be sinking a bunch of money into this thing just to get it to drive around? I'll only be driving it 10 or 20 miles a day, just around town. Am I just crazy? Or could this be a good project to learn to work on a truck that'll still just work as an around town daily driver?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are crazy then we all are. Yes they are good, simple trucks to work on and to learn on. Yes you can sink a lot of money into them, But parts are pretty cheep online. Welcome to the green iron club.

MarcusOReallyus

They are a lot more simple than modern vehicles, but they do have a few odd quirks that can lead to the average mechanic doing stupid things to them. The starter and glow plug system is a hybrid 24/12v system which taxes the brain of an average mechanic.

The good thing is, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and the TMs (Technical Manuals, free for download here) are written exactly for an 18 year old kid who has never worked on a vehicle before. They have extensive troubleshooting sections. Just follow the steps, do what you're told, and you will be led by the hand to a solution. It might take longer than an experienced mechanic would take, but you'll get there.

And then, there's this site, where you can ask questions.

Are you crazy? Probably. :mrgreen:

Drock

I've driven classic "project cars" all my life. The best advise I can give someone about owning a classic car or truck is this. If your not willing and able to do (ALL) the work yourself then don't do it! Old vehicles are like building a model airplane, you just don't farm out the work, or what's the point?:shrugs: Classic's are a hobby & labor of love. Trying to get quality work done on such a vehicle at a modern repair shop is nearly impossible, and/or expensive..... That being said, if you want to dip your toes into the hobby CUCV's are a pretty good start. They have a habit of running and driving even when they're broken:driver: and parts are relatively cheap & easy to find/trade. However In my opinion the easiest classic car to build is the VW bug2cents

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

It usually takes on average about $1500 - $2000 to get them going and be reasonably reliable.
Yours is already running snd driving so your money ahead!!

They are fairly easy to work on.
Tons of experience and help from guys on Steel Soldiers.
95% of issues have already been experienced by someone else.

Download and read the TMs and old threads and the CUCV stickies.
These trucks are a blast to drive and if properly maintained, will last for decades more.

You will soon be wanting another one, plus trailers and maybe something bigger like a 5 ton.

It’s a hobby that’s hard on the wallet.
But worth every penny.

sneekyeye

If it's the white one in Benton, it looks like it's been pretty well civilianized since it got out. Chrome front and rear bumpers, the shackles and brush guard are gone, the wacky wheels. It looks to me like the rockers may be rotted out, thats kind of a downer. It could be just the lighting though in the pictures. Is it worth 4500, I dunno. Depending on how it was maintained will lead to how expensive it will be to keep on the road. If the rubber parts have been replaced or not. I'm sort of
'Meh' on the whole thing

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have time and money they are fun, aggravating, and frustrating many times all in the same day.

There is a huge accomplishment factor when you figure out a problem.

That said the list is always long of things you should do and more importantly once you get one they multiply quickly.

That said I think I want another one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you have time and money they are fun, aggravating, and frustrating many times all in the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha that's a mirror image of you sir!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Lachance139

Hey everybody. Thanks so much for the quick responses. You guys are awesome!

My next question then before I seal the deal is this. When I open the hood of car, I'll be honest, I really have no idea what I'm looking at. So with that in mind, what are some things that I should be looking for and asking about when I go take a second look at it this weekend before dropping the cash and taking it home? Any things in particular where it may give me a red flag as far as parts that may need to be replaced or are too worn down, etc etc etc. Thanks a bunch guys!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey everybody. Thanks so much for the quick responses. You guys are awesome!

My next question then before I seal the deal is this. When I open the hood of car, I'll be honest, I really have no idea what I'm looking at. So with that in mind, what are some things that I should be looking for and asking about when I go take a second look at it this weekend before dropping the cash and taking it home? Any things in particular where it may give me a red flag as far as parts that may need to be replaced or are too worn down, etc etc etc. Thanks a bunch guys!
Where in Arkansas are you located and where is the truck located? If its nearby I may be able to lend a hand and take a short road trip.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Drock said its all part of this hobby to also do at least a good portion of the work on these trucks ourselves, with that said there is a LOT of assistance for you on this site and the TMs will become your before bedtime reading for at least a few of the upcoming months, its good reading! Bottom line is DO YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT how a vehicle operates and learn enough about it to fix it when it breaks? If you can honestly answer YES to this question the battle is done and you have already WON! Buy the truck and enjoy your upcoming adventure and welcome to the green madness!!!!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks