• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fix loose rivet nuts

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would share this in case any of you find yourself fighting with loose rivet nuts. The military seems to use a lot of them for sheet metal. They are great until they lose their grip and spin when you try to tighten or loosen a bolt. I will also add that these things are very delicate when it comes to accidentally cross threading. Make absolutely sure the bolt is threading in correctly and easily or you will booger up the beginning threads and have to chase them with a tap.

There are two methods I have used. The first method is to place a hammer head or heavy metal on the backside of the rivet nut and then use a hammer to tap the front flange to tighten it up. I have done this on a couple small ones in the dash. The second method I just ran across works very well and I used this to fix 4 loose ones for the antenna mount. This method involves using a bolt and nut to squeeze the rivet nut down, in the same manner as the real installation tool does to set them. I found this method in the video below. For my application I used a small metal bar with two holes drilled in it, one for the rivet nut to be fixed and one to hold the metal bar to keep from spinning, with a bolt in an adjacent rivet nut. Here's the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQIYLSKGwI

Using the second method works very well but can be tricky if the threads are already a little messed up. That's how these things get loose sometimes...the bolt cross threads and locks up, then the rivet nut starts spinning. Once you get the rivet nut tightened up a little, you can chase the threads and then better seat the rivet nut. For the antenna mount, most of the rivet nuts are located in the side pillar which is double walled, so you can't get to the backside of them to use the hammer method.

Last edited:
You can also get one of these crimp tools. They are pretty cheap and can be found on ebay with a search of rivnut crimper. I just used one to install the rivet nuts in my roof for my aux. lighting. I think I paid $30 for mine.
Riv Nut tool.jpg

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also get one of these crimp tools. They are pretty cheap and can be found on ebay with a search of rivnut crimper. I just used one to install the rivet nuts in my roof for my aux. lighting. I think I paid $30 for mine.
View attachment 610368
Looks like that model goes up to 1/4" size, not bad. The ones holding the antenna mount are 5/16 size. I may get an actual crimp tool one of these days, but at least there is an easy way without one. I didn't realize I had a problem with the ones on the cab until I tried to reinstall the antenna mount. At that point I needed to get it fixed so I could get my antenna mounted! I already have one of the Marson rivet guns for normal rivets, maybe I could even get a set of dies for the threaded inserts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks