• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flame heater and WMO

1stDeuce

Ok, I didn't see too much on the subject, so I'll ask... I run WMO in my deuce a lot, and when the weather turns cold, I end up significantly reducing the concentration to get the flame heater to work. (Or I end up shooting it with either...)

Anybody put a separate fuel reservoir on the truck to run straight #2 diesel in the manifold flame heater?? It has it's own pump, so it would seem like it's simple to just feed that pump from a small tank. Might even mix in a bit of gas to make it ignite better. ?? Wouldn't hardly have to have any volume, as you're only running the heater for a few seconds until the engine starts. (Bjorn proved that the turbo snuffs out the flame once started, right?)

What are your thoughts?? This might let me run closer to 50% all year long, and elminiate the either starts, which always seem hard on stuff...

C

tm america

i would do it .might have to run a small electric pump near the tank since fuel pumps are made to push not pull .the intank pump pushes fuel to the pump on the intake .i think if you dont run near the tank it will burn the one on the intake out pretty quick.since it will be staved for fuel after things drain back and they will :roll:i would avoid either at all costs if you can

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was toying with this idea also... having a seperate fuel tank for my flame heater. it wouldnt need much, a quart capacity and gravity fed to the pump. now what would you do with the return line from the flame heater nozzle? i think in the TM's it shows that one way to test for leakage is to plug the return line of the nozzle. there is also pictures of both ports on the nozzle tied together to test for leaks. what would be the best way to hook up the nozzle then? My thought was using a small lawnmower fuel tank (metal and painted OD Green ofcourse) and feeding the pump from that. could i just cap off the return port on the nozzle or would i have to make some sort of return line?

as far as fuel, i planned on using kerosene instead of diesel because it has a higher flashpoint. Will kerosene bother the flame heater pump because of the lack of lubricity or will it not care that much? i always could throw a splash of 2 cycle oil or power service to the kerosene to help. I know its not as sensitive as a hydraulic head, but it couldnt hurt to add a little lubrication.

GHILL55

When things get real cold I use JET A fuel mixed with the diesel. It's just very high grade kerosene and has a gel point of -28 degrees. It's what I use in all my oil lamps and old kerosene heaters.
Another benefit is that it has very little odor when burned in oil lamps and heaters. I'm mounting a separate fuel tank for my Arctic heater that will run the JET A fuel.
Locally JET A fuel goes for $5.19/gal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks