• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat tow a M151?

Pawnshop

I decided recently to look for a M151 (A1 OR A2) to tow behind my Deuces, kind of like a dingy behind a yacht:) but I had a thought: CAN you safely flat tow a M151 (A1 OR A2)? Would you need to stay under 45mph if you did? I don't really want to deal with a trailer because that kind of negates the convenience factor, but if I HAD to I could. My plan is to park the M151 at home and use it to drive back and forth to the yard my deuces are parked in, and when I am going to an airshow or some other large display type of event I want to tow it along and use it as a runabout at the show, and to display two MVs with one driver. Any experience out there I can learn from?

Sam

vtdeucedriver

They flat tow like crap, you will go through tires. They like to hunt. If you want to take 2, get a set of ramps and put the mutt in the back of the deuce, they fit nice!!!!!

vtdeucedriver

In my club, there are 2 guys that bring mutts in the back of deuces. I believe one strap throught the pintal to the back of the truck (over the top of the tailgate to the bumperetts. The front is through the hooks then I believe under the front rack and down to the frame rail. I can send e-mails and ask to make sure. Just remember these are heavy duty ratchet straps. Thats the easy part, finding or making ramps is the hard part. They need to be 12' in lengith so you can slide them under the mutt and still close the tailgate.

If i ever get another deuce, my mutt will go in the back for sure.

nattieleather

I use to towbar my M151 all the time. At one time I had a M1009 CUCV and I would hook the 151 to the back of it and go to show. I never had any issues with it other than if I had to take a trun tightly (like tring to get out of a gas station) that would cause the front wheels to lock and I would have to stop and straighten them back out. Otherwise I would just take it and go. Now behind a M35 is a little harder because with that truck you could lock the wheels and drag it down the street and not know you had done it. 5/4 ton and down for flat tow would be my recommendation otherwise Larger trucks either trialer or as stated put in the bed.

Pawnshop

I was thinking that going over the bed rails and down to the frame would lift the 151 up a bit and be unstable, but (duh) the bumper is HIGHER than the bed rails! There is a loading dock at one of the places we do shows so unloading there would be no big deal, just need to find a place/way to load it. AND find a way to tow it behind the M109A3!

Irv

I plan on towing the 151 with a short towbar behind a pickup. The only concern I have is for the differentials heating up or the tranny having a problem. Is there a definite yes or no about flat towing the 151? I'll bungee the steering wheel straight ahead, with some flex for turns. I'll tape a carnation to the top of the steering wheel so I can see it's aiming straight going down the road, in my rear view mirror. Irv

cstaup

Irv, If it has proper alignment and oil in the diff and tranny, you shouldn't have any problems. Just put it in neutral and disengage the brake. ungee cords wont hurt, but prolly not necessary

vtdeucedriver

I plan on towing the 151 with a short towbar behind a pickup. The only concern I have is for the differentials heating up or the tranny having a problem. Is there a definite yes or no about flat towing the 151? I'll bungee the steering wheel straight ahead, with some flex for turns. I'll tape a carnation to the top of the steering wheel so I can see it's aiming straight going down the road, in my rear view mirror. Irv
How far do you need to go????? They dont like flat towing period!!!

They fit really nice on a u-haul car trailer. Is this a driver or a project???? If its a project, I would not trust the differentals at all. I bought one and I am SOOOO glad that I trailered it cause the rear diff sounds like a sherman tank running down the road. It never would have taken the 80 mi trip.

emr

basic info here, it will towbar fine as long as u have experience, and know no vehicle likes to follow in a tight turn or off road conditions like gravel and dirt, I have hundreds of miles with my M38 behind a deuce and never had even a hint of a problem unless it was human error, like forgeting it was back there and backing up after a few hours on the road, yeesh that was a close one, and when on the way to Aberdeen and I had been in a middle lane for some time and noticed alot of people passing on left but none on right so I looked in the mirror to get over and to my surprise the willys was riding perfect windshield dowm no driver in the lane next to me just as perfect as can be, yeesh again, a pin fell out at the jeep bumper and the one towbar leg just let her swing nice to one side and I mean it really was something to see I bet, this Jeep with no poeple keeping up with this big Army truck,....just one of those days.....:roll:

cstaup

Like vtdeucedriver stated if the diffs are "iffy", Trailer it. If not and you are concened about the front wheels pointing the wrong way in tight turns,rent a U-haul front end support trailer.

As I was in the Army, I was a wrecker operator. Unless any vehicle had any suspension damage, I simply used a towbar. The caster in your jeep should make the steering "want" to go straight.

saddamsnightmare

April 2nd, 2010.

IRV:

I might suggest towing the M151 on a front wheel dolly or better a trailer, as the independent suspension used on these critters would make me think that they would not behave being towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. TM9-2320-218-10, Pg.2-33 indicates that they can be towed with a towbar from the front, but the illustrations do show the vehicle being handled with a wrecker with the rear two wheels off the ground. This is indicated for driveshaft and transmission related issues.
One of the members on here devised a ramp to load his Bobcat in the bed of his deuce (converted to a dump bed format), and that might be a solution also. The comparison in towing an M38A and an M151 would seem to be comparing apples and oranges as regards the front end geometry of the two vehicles, which would probably tow differently because of the solid live axle in one and the independent suspension in the other.

In any case, be circumspect and be safe,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

Irv

Thanks for the tips. I've towed a few things, including 5 ton 'projects' with no problems. This 151 is motorpoool ready, not a collectible. We're talking about a few dozen miles every once in a long while. Diffs didn't heat up on a 20 mile tow. Just put it in neutral, bungeed the steering wheel, and went. Think I'll bungee the driveline brake into the 'off' position, though. Seems like an 'iffy' design. This is the original 151 with the early brake system. From the posts, it appears that the bulk of the advice is it's ok, provided that the diffs have oil, and that you friggin remember it's there before backing up :wink:. Irv

Barrman

I don't have a 151. However, I did the same thing Sam started this thread talking about. Pull a smaller MV behind a M35 to big events so you have a pair of vehicles there. One as base and the other to run around in. I figured the military tow bar would be great for that. I only did it once. About 50 miles into a 190 mile round trip to an event last spring it hit me. "I spent a lot of time and money finding those XZL tires for the M715. Why in the world am I dragging it behind the Whistler when I can't even see the darn thing back there? Trailer tires are a lot cheaper and easier to find."

Plus, I can have my trailer hooked to the M35, the M715 loaded and tied down faster, easier and by myself than lugging that heavy (but very usefull and glad I have it) military medium tow bar around, getting somebody to help me hook the trucks together and then running a thick power cable over my paint on the towed vehicle that will rub a shiny spot no matter how many zip ties get used so I can have lights. I can also back the trailer up. Kind of a neat concept at fuel stops.

My trailer is the same color as my M715 and I even have the military small bucket lights on it, so it really doesn't look all that bad compared to a flat tow. Attached is a picture LibTimothy took of me showing up at the Texas SS rally 3 weeks ago.

Just a side note. The M715 t-case did get hot following along behind the Whistler when I flat towed it, the outside of the front tires got a little bit of feathering on them and I could only see a shadow of the vehicle the entire time unless I was in a turn. Trailer for me if at all possible in the future.

Attachments

Irv

Nice looking setup! I agree that trailering is best for the 151. I have a trailer project in the works. Irv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks