• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flood recovery

glaser06

New Orleans flooded this weekend for those of y'all who don't get the local news. I ended up driving thru a lot of it, spent maybe 6 hours in high water. Is there anything I should worry about besides cleaning off my radiator?

Was up to the bottom of the door for about 3 hours, drove through some that was above the hood.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

glaser06

Define "everything". Right now my CUCV is doubling as my daily driver and I don't have access to my shop. Oh and just laid off.

It's been a week :)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pretty much a 100% fluid change, filters, and repack wheel bearings. Run fresh grease on ujoints and all lube front end zerk fittings.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty much a 100% fluid change, filters, and repack wheel bearings. Run fresh grease on u-joints and all lube front end zerk fittings.
Pretty much this ^. The Army used to do the immersion all the time, but back in the day, they had unlimited free labor to do all that post-immersion stuff, so they didn't care.

Now it is just you (or me, if I do it); so it is a lot less fun and why I quit doing it (up here in Washington state, on the wet side, it is real easy to do- and tempting). It is just the standard maintenance that goes with the "activity"

Good Luck with it, and I hope it goes easily and well!

glaser06

Dammit. I just did oil, grease chassis, and fuel filter on Friday. I'll have to see if I can find a place to drop the tranny pan. I'll order my gaskets for the diffs today.

Wheel bearing probably aren't gonna happen anytime soon though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where you in lakeview or Gentilly?

I was actually ironically leaving the city going to Covington and missed the Monsoon. Where I am at in Metairie it was fine and the Northshore was like nothing had happened. 4 miles north on causeway and the sun was shinning and looked like a beautiful day.

Just plain crazy how a storm can stall over an area and dump a flood.

All the best to you.

Picture of my son in lakeview by 17th st canal.

Attachments

Last edited:

glaser06

Treme/ Mid-City. My truck sat like your son's for the 3 hours on the sidewalk. Then I had to get back to Baton Rouge.... all the interstate ramps were blocked with abandoned cars. Ugh.

cucvrus

How deep was the water. If it was only up to the frame. Over the hood ?? How did it stay running? were you sitting in water inside? I would not change the transmission fluid. I would just check all the fluids. I run it deep water all the time. If money is tight just keep everything in check. You will be able to get by. I used my M1028 for flood rescue in 2001 and took it all apart tp find nothing needed serviced. Going forward I just check everything. That's just my spin on the situation. Do 1 axle at a time and all will be well. Start with the front one. Good Luck.

glaser06

Most of the time it was touching the oil pan. Drove through a few deep spots where it was up over the hood if I had stopped (actually passed too close to a parked car and pulled some water in.... when that Detroit stuttered I puckered hard). Most of the time was over the axles, never got water in the cab although I could easily touch water from the window in some spots. (thank you new door seals 2 years ago!).

I was most worried about my axles as they sat submerged for 3 hours not moving. My engine, tranny, and transfer case are all tight, no leaks save the little bit of blow-by that comes from the oil breather.

cucvrus

Do you see any condensation in the oil cap. And if you bring the idle up a bit doe the blow by go away? Good thing on the water in the intake. Don't take much to get the typewriter effect. Been there a few times. But if you have slight condensation in the oil cap. I would change the oil. If not I would hold off for more funding to be available. Check everything close. I have been in your situation in winter with wet flooded area and just kept everything in check till I could get to it. slight contamination in the axles will not harm anything if it is maintained soon. So if it needs it do it a little at a time. just make sure you do it. I know we all do not have a bank roll to waste and over maintain something that is suspect. make sure you are needing to spend the money. take the hubs off and check in there. If grease is there keep in mind it could be contaminated but it is still grease. Drive conservatively and maintain it as soon as you can. I think it will be fine. Pulling the transfer case plug quickly when cold reinstalling it and looking at a sample of the fluid will give you a quick idea of the condition. I have been in deep water many times. Good seals and grease go a long way. Maintain it as quick as possible. But that is how I would do it. Others may have different opinions. Good Luck. Better luck I hope in the future. Take care. I have a set of National 2081 rear axle seals I can donate if you send me an address. That will help a bit.

Chaski

If you were feeling cheap you might be able to get away with pulling the fill plugs on the axles / transfer case and taking a look at the fluid to see if it was contaminated before you change it.

I'd give your front wheel bearings about a 95% chance they are contaminated, along with the stub shaft bearing on each side. It would be a good investment of time to pull the hubs all the way off and the spindles. Shouldn't cost much to do, just a tub of grease and the cost of the correct spindle nut socket if you don't allready have it.

sweetk30

if trans fluid is red on dip stick and not pink then your prob good to go .

but axles / tcase / wheel bearings in the front for sure i would pull/ clean as needed and repack or swap in new fluids .

glaser06

Problem with the hubs is the lack of a jack here. I'm probably have the right socket already, just need a jack and stands. Thanks cucvrus for the offer, if I get a jack I'll take you up on it. Those are probably the only seals other than engine gaskets that haven't been replaced by yours truly :)

snowtrac nome

when re packing the wheel bearings remove the spindle there is a seal kit and a bearing there that gets missed on a service. water usually weeps in through that bearing, down the inside of the spindle, into the locking hub until its full, than into the outer bearing. don't forget to replace the snap ring on the end of the hub its there to keep tension on that seal

cucvrus

035.jpgThis was the flood in 2011. I was out with a few guys for 2 days running people groceries. after wards I serviced the entire truck and nothing was contaminated. It was my 1985 M1028.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks