• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluids needed for M715 series rebuild

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, time to add fluids to my truck, but the military manuals only list the applicable military standard fluids by NSN and mil type. Doesn't seem to correspond correctly with commercial off the shelf stuff.

Here's what I am guessing for my M715 series truck:

Engine oil: 10W30
Tranny: 90-W gear
Transfer: 90-W gear
Axle diffs, front and rear: 90-W gear
coolant: standard 1:1 ethylene glycol and water
brake fluid: DOT-3

Let me know if I'm right...hate to be wrong.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, gimpyrobb. BTW - saw pics and vids of your -725 at Haspin last year. Do you have the stock drivetrain in your ambulance? If so, I'm impressed by the off road capability and power given by the standard drivetrain setup. I was told these rigs were thought to be underpowered for their size, but you'd never know it by seeing your rig at work!

Barrman

A stock M715 does great in the environment it was designed for. Off road below 45 mph.

The underpowered concerns only show up with those of us trying to use the truck as a modern new 1 ton is used.

acetomatoco

You can use straight 30 in the summer in your Tornado.. and GL1 gear oil in the gearboxes and diffs... some M715/25 may have been converted to Dot5, but Dot 3 is what they came with...and regular chassis lube and the 50/50 AF is fine... ACE

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, stock for now. Going with a 366 chevy for cheap available parts, 3035a trans for O.D. and a 205 to rid the over heating at speed Tcase. Someday maybe axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks